Wednesday, October 8, 2014

JOIN


This is part of my 31 Day Five Minute Free Writes challenge within a challenge. I will be linking up with 31 Day Challenge at The Nester's as well as at Heading Home. For a list of all my letters you can go here.



Dear Richard:

One of the happiest memories I have of our life together is when you wanted to have the grandkids join us whenever we took trips. They were lucky, little kids to get to travel with us. A couple of trips to Colorado to show them where you vacationed as a child and where their dads spent summers too. We took them with us to the Kansas City area quite a bit. Especially when Paige moved up that way. One of the trips that we all looked forward to every autumn was going to the Renaissance Festival at Bonner Springs. Wasn't it fun the first time we took them there. 

We first shopped for costumes. You thought they would have so much more fun if they
2005
2005

joined in and dressed the part. I tried to get you to dress also. You looked at me like I had two heads. Fun for the kids. But undignified for a dignified man like you. You were never too dignified to sit on a bench and gnaw on a turkey leg or flirt with a beer wench. Oh the memories these kiddos will always have of the fun times created by their beloved Papa. The last time we went it was freezing cold. Do you remember? Not nearly as much fun as romping through those woods on a clear, crisp fall day as we felt the leaves and twigs crunch underfoot. 

We're not going this year! Too painful! Too soon. But we might go next year. Maybe you'll join us.

All my love,

Paula 



10 comments:

  1. Looked like fun; I hope eventually you will want to go again!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that we will....bet I won't be able to get than teen boy to dress up again though. The girls might

      Delete
  2. The children look adorable in those costumes that their Papa got for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't go this year either but last year Frank and I both dressed up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me smile, remembering how my dad made it a point to take my son along on his and mom's excursions. They even shared a 'fellow's only' cruise once when Troy was but 8.
    That pix of Harley and Paige is priceless! Memories they can hang onto forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lots and lots of memories to hang on to

      Delete
  5. Lucky grandkids--my grandparents had all passed before I was born. Pity, that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still had my maternal grandparents but they were not good grandparents at all. I always said that I wanted "Best Granny Ever!" to be on my headstone sometime....

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!