Friday, October 17, 2014

Is It Newsworthy?

Do you watch the news on TV? Listen to it on the radio? Read about it on the internet? How has 24 hours news media changed the way that we view things? I am positive there have always been bad police officers all over the United States. We know there are in other countries as well. But if you believe
everything that you read and hear in the media today then you are going to think that ALL police officers are bad. All of them are profiling black people and shooting innocent teenagers. I call bull to that. There are many more police officers out there helping calm a crying kid at a car wreck, giving directions to a lost traveler, or help a frightened father search for a lost toddler. But none of those stories stir the country. We seem to want to be angry with those who give their lives to protect us. Every single time they step out of their doors they are putting their life on the line. Yes, there are bad apples in every police station. Just like there are bad doctors, bad lawyers, bad dentists, bad teachers, bad everyone. But our news media is at war with police officers and they are building a society that never sees the good. It is time to not believe everything that you hear and to support our boys in Blue.

I also feel the media is trying to scare us
to death with the whole Ebola fear and panic. We have had exactly one person in America die because of Ebola. Yet that is all we are hearing on the news every single hour of the day. There are more than 100 people killed in car crashes in America every single day of the year* Now if we spent as much time trying to figure out how to make people in cars safer as we are coming up with news story about Ebola we might really make some powerful changes in this country. Did you know that it has been projected that by the year 2015 there will be more deaths caused by firearms in the United States than by traffic
accidents.* Yet we are not hearing about gun control over and over and over everyday in the news media. Why is that, I wonder. 

What is it that drives the news media? Is it those of us who watch. The responses on Facebook and Twitter that keep the stations fired up to keep reporting these things over and over and over. Are we, the public, part of the problem? Should we just turn off the news? And if it is the same story over and over can we really still call it news?

What do you think?

14 comments:

  1. Yep. That's why I don't watch or listen to the news. Occasionally, I'll see something on twitter or Facebook and look for a reliable (is that possible) news source to read up on the issue. But I'm pretty happy not feeding my brain with sensationalized stories that are mostly inaccurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do watch the news. But it is getting crazier and crazier!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Paula for being a voice of reason in this media crazed world we live in .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about me being the voice of reason. I do know that we need to NOT believe all the hype

      Delete
  3. Hi Paula .. I do watch the news - and rather wish I didn't ... it's what people take/remember that really worries me ... and they don't bother to check ...... even worse - perhaps they don't know they should check, or perhaps they don't know there could be another side of the story ...

    Ebola is dreadful .. and is going to be difficult on many levels - but we're not going to be wiped out ...

    Have a good weekend without worrying too much - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebola is dreadful but it has only killed ONE person in America and you would think there had been thousands here the way that our media is responding.

      Delete
  4. I agree that we can be a bit paranoid with watching the news, but I think we do need to keep up with what is going on in the world/country as it can impact decisions we make on where to go, etc. I do think there is a concern for Ebola. Yes, one death, but look at its impact in Africa. I think we can't live under a rock; however, that being said I think we should choose wisely how much news we do watch and what source we consider reliable.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty I do look at it's impact on Africa. And I think that is very sad. But here in America we need to turn our attention to the problems we have right within our own borders. We are doing what we can to help in Africa. But we don't need to sensationalize the problem here. I would just like to see the news devote that much air space to the problems we might be able to fix and not just keep trying to stir the political pot.

      Delete
  5. Most of the news isn't "news" anymore. Sensationalism more like it. I'd rather read the twitter feeds from the news than listen to it anymore. Most of the time what we hear isn't the whole story and then the public/newscasters/ etc. make judgment calls and confuse the issues that are serious more. I agree with you, we need to concentrate on America more and be more concerned with America's health, safety and if that means monitoring news and borders more, then sobeit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...by the way, I think I wrote the word "more", more so than I ever needed too ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really glad you wrote this, Paula; particularly about our policemen and women. What a thankless task! For sure, on many occasions I've had reason to admire their restraint.

    Today's media makes me a bit ashamed that I ever dreamed of becoming a journalist. Due to my hours, I get 99% of my news from the radio, but remember the decade I spent at the CBS affiliate in Florida: from the GM to the News Director to the janitor, it seemed all they cared about was ratings.
    I'm mostly concerned that people are 'forgetting' to think for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do believe now it is all about ratings. And politics.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!