Tuesday, October 21, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUSTIN

This is part of my 31 Day Five Minute Free Writes challenge within a challenge. I will be linking up with 31 Day Challenge at The Nester's as well as at Heading Home. For a list of all my letters you can go here.

My dearest Richard:

Do you remember what today is? That's right, it is Justin's birthday. Your son, you would say. And even though he doesn't share your biology he is your son. Has been from the very beginning. Just a wee lad of three. He doesn't remember living with his dad at all. The biological dad, that is. You've always been DAD to him. I remember how I loved to see him grab hold of your index finger and walk along beside you. How proud you've always been of him. How you used to brag about his football years and then when he became a cop. How your buttons almost burst when you talked about his cop exploits. Someone that you used to work with at Eaton recently told me that it was years before they knew we had two sons....it was Justin they heard about all the time.

His cake at age 12
(I'm sure you bought this one)

You baked their birthday cakes for them. And when that stopped you went to Dairy Queen and bought them an ice cream cake. That is our tradition. We had an Oreo Ice Cream cake this past
Saturday..39 now!
Saturday for his birthday. And we all thought of you. He misses you as much as I do. And his grief is just as painful. You were very lucky to be so loved. And we were very lucky that you loved us.


Love,

Paula 

Happy 39th Birthday Justin...you are the best son a mother could ever ask for. 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Paula - lovely post to two wonderful men ... and I'm sure Justin did his dad proud, as he does now .. and those remembrances on special days ... always emotional ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Justin! I am so glad that you had Richard as a father! He helped shape you to be the wonderful young man you are today!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Justin. I am so glad that you have your sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inger....I am glad I have this one!

      Delete
  4. What a sweet post of remembering happy times. :) I loved the pictures today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.....so many years in between and yet the same sweet boy!

      Delete
  5. Awww... This really tugged at my heart, visualizing a little guy grabbing hold of his dad's finger, and how proud Richard must have been to call Justin, "son."
    Happy Birthday, Justin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra. And yes, Richard was very, very proud to call Justin 'son'

      Delete
  6. What an amazing man your Richard was :). Baking cakes, being a father to Justin. You are one lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!