Thursday, October 23, 2014

DARE

This is part of my 31 Day Five Minute Free Writes challenge within a challenge. I will be linking up with 31 Day Challenge at The Nester's as well as at Heading Home. For a list of all my letters you can go here.

My dear Richard:

This was a tough week. I passed the 3 month anniversary mark. And I survived. You knew that I would didn't you? You've always known that I'd be alright. It's just me that has to come to that conclusion now, isn't it?

Do you remember so many years ago when we first became a couple? It's almost funny how it came to be. You dared to stop by my house one night on your drive home from work. You didn't yet know that I was getting a divorce. And I didn't know that you had left your wife. Not that it would have mattered to me...you were my boss and so much older. I surely wasn't interested in you that way. But I was now a single mom with two little boys. You first asked if you could take them to McDonald's. Remember? They were so excited. Nothing like a Happy Meal to win over a little boy. The next time you stopped by it was with tickets to the circus. And what a nice evening I had at home alone while you bought peanuts, cotton candy, balloons and entertained two wide-eyed kids who looked up to you like the hero that you were. You dropped by with little souveneirs from your business trips. And they loved you! You stopped by with cookies that you were given at work and couldn't eat them all. And then that time that you dared to stop by and ask if the boys wanted to go to a basketball game and you said, "maybe momma would like to come with us this time." I can't believe how brave you were. You told me many times that you was sure I would say NO. But I didn't. I dared to take that chance and find out 'who was this man that had won the hearts' of my two little guys. You took care of us. You helped us. You won me over. I'm so glad that you dared to stop by and win my heart through the hearts of my sons. 

I'm so thankful we took the dare.

All my love,

Paula 

10 comments:

  1. How sweet, Paula, that Richard first "courted" your sons and spent some time with them and gave you a bit of a break at times! So glad you did take that dare!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what he did Betty.....courted me through my sons. It worked too :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Paula,
    ... for filling in the blanks of what went before.
    You know, I never really believed in fairy tales before -- but yours and Richard's is just that.

    Hugs,
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought of it that way Myra. But it was a fairy tale, wasn't it!!

      Delete
  3. Well, thanks.....I am blubbering like an idiot here now. What a precious love story and what an awesome man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not an idiot Wendy..He was s wonderful,loving and romantic man I was so lucky

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lot of wonderful memories you have, and how well you write about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Snow. I think that is the best thing about this grieving process. It allows me to remember all the great things

      Delete
  6. I knew it - I just knew it was some kind of sweet, magical beginning to your love story. What a wonderful (really smart!) man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never much thought our love story was so special ..but it was, wasn't it? I miss him so much

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!