Thursday, September 4, 2014

Whispers

Friday is here. Let's travel over to Heading Home and join Five Minute Friday. A comfortable, safe place to share five minutes of writing raw. No editing, no over-thinking. Just putting your thoughts down and then hitting the publish button. The only rule is to offer another writer (or two or three) your love and support. Let's go. This week the writing prompt is:

Go:
Do you hear my whisper? Today was the first day of school for Darian and Harley. The first long day that I am alone. The house was very quiet. I could hear the whispers. It is the memories whispering to me. I go there...I watch the video that we played at Richard's Memorial Service. And, yes, I cry. But not the sad tears that I have been crying. These are tears of memories. I can almost hear him whispering to me..."honey, don't cry. It will be okay". He said those words often when I was upset about his failing health. Or if there were other things going on. And it always was okay. I felt his warm breath against my ear as I listened for his words. I wrapped myself in those memories. I am glad that we spent all the years together doing the things that we loved to do. He loved his family. Even when they disappointed him, he loved them. And he loved his grandchildren. Often, at night, after the kids had gone to bed, we would whisper to each other. Our love. Our hopes. Our dreams. When he didn't hear as well (or is that me?) our whispers became louder. But we still whispered our love for each other. I miss him. But I hear the whispers! And I know that I will be okay.

Stop

20 comments:

  1. Hope the kids had a good first day of school! It is good you have the memories of the whispering that you and Richard did together :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many, many memories to sustain me. And the kids' first day was really good!

      Delete
  2. Tender whispers. Thank you for sharing your new journey, and the whispered memories that brought you comfort. May God wrap you in the warm blanket of His love. Stopping by from FMF. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah. And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. The whispers and the memories are gifts, aren't they? When we lose someone we love, memories we've made with them almost come to life. May God hold you close, in the quiet times especially. Lifting you in prayer today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't know where I would be without my memories of him. And thank you Julie.

      Delete
  4. Paula - this is beautiful; hearing your cherished whispers, knowing that you hear Richard saying it will be ok, and thinking of good memories in the midst of missing him. I'm glad you have put your first "solo" day behind you. Your strength and creativity will bring new interests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I've a feeling, whenever I hear the word 'whisper' I'll think of Paula and Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you are wrapping yourself in that beautiful love story. Stay strong, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying Lisa. It is getting easier. Yet when I decide that it's going to be okay then I start to feel so guilty

      Delete
  7. You will make it, Paula. And the routines and rhythms of life will carry you through it. Yes, you do feel guilty about thinking it will be Ok. Just remember that Richard told you it would be. That guilt will pass, too, and memories may always be bitter sweet, but probably not. When you can comfortably think of what Richard would want for you, you will understand that he wants you to live life, and love your kids and find joy in it again. You will have so much to tell him when you meet again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Zippi....I really needed to hear that today

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!