Saturday, September 20, 2014

Weekend Musings





Weekend! This used to be a time that we would all look forward to with such anticipation. Well only if I happened to have the weekend off, that is. Working as a nurse for so many years I didn't always have weekends off. At the hospital I was off every third weekend. (and well paid for those that I had to work). And then during my nursing home years I worked every other weekend. We usually did something special on weekends. Took little road trips. Shopping trips. Walks in the park. You know, those kinds of things.

Now a weekend to me is just like every other day. Except the kids are home. Darian had a Boy Scout Camp-out this weekend. And it is probably a good thing. He came home from school on Friday with a broken cell phone screen.
Story is that he fell on it. I need more information but before we could get into it his ride came for the campout. Thanks goodness for phone insurance. (I guess) It still is costing me $99 to get a new one shipped to us. He has a lot of leaf raking in his future.

Harley and I went grocery shopping today. After visiting the Verizon store that is. Was a nice shopping trip. Hopefully I got everything I need to the next week. I have found the less I go to the grocery store the better I stick to my budget.

And then after we put the groceries away she and I went out to eat, rented the movie The Other Woman and spent a nice evening at home watching movies. We also watched The Devil Wears Prada. I am turning into a regular movie person after years of saying I wasn't really that into movies. It used to be that I couldn't make it to the middle of a movie without going to sleep. Now, since I can't seem to sleep at all, I make it all the way to the end.

Now I am finishing my evening writing on my blog and listening to Barbara and Blake.

   










12 comments:

  1. From personal experience, I have found that having insurance on a cell phone for a teen/young adult is a good thing :) Even paying what you had to pay is still a bargaiin in some cases.

    For several years I worked 6 days a week, Friday and Saturday half days. I am glad now I'm off on Saturdays and Sundays. We might not do much on those days but I'lm glad for the 2 days in a row break :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have paid for cell phone insurance for years now and this is only the second time I have had to use it. But yes, at the price of today's cell phones it is worth it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula .. how unfortunate for Darian and for you obviously .. I expect he's really upset about it - but glad you've sorted it for him .. Then getting all the shopping done for the week - certainly seems to be the best way of keeping a handle on the cash flow ..

    Glad you and Harley enjoyed your films ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is as upset about it as I am, I think

      Delete
  3. I remember working all those weekends and holidays as well. I kind of liked having my days off during the week though. It was much easier to run your errands while everyone else was at work. Have a great weekend and think about spending an extra $20 on a screen protector for the kid's phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, having a cop in our family as well as myself, a nurse it made getting together really hard sometimes. But, I agree with you about the days off during the week. Those were nice for me too. Just not so much for family time. And thanks for the advice. Our new screen shield is ordered from Amazon and on it's way.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good weekend, except for the broken phone. And he probably did fall on it, but there must be some heck of a story to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it is such a boring story it might be why I am having so much trouble believing it is THE true story. LOL

      Delete
  5. I used to anticipate the weekends like crazy - but then, I was younger and had more 'disposable income.' Still, it's all in one's attitude, isn't it? We haven't rented a movie or sat down and watched anything together in like forever.
    So glad to hear you've insurance on Darian's phone; it's wicked crazy what they're asking for new models these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to sit and watch movies with Harley. She called them both "chick flicks" and said Darian wouldn't have liked them. And yes, at the price of cell phones, I am glad I had insurance

      Delete
  6. For years, in fact, nearly the whole time I was married my daughter's dad, I worked 12 hour nights, every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I did it because it was $5.00/hour shift differential. I'm quite sure it played a pretty good part in what eventually ended my marriage. She spent every weekend with him while I worked my ass off.

    On the bright side--I absolutely LOVED The Devil Wears Prada. Every single performance was spot on, don't you think??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada. And yes I can imagine that 12 hour shifts every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday would soon be wearing to a spouse. Richard was so good about all my nightshifts. Now I wonder if money was really all that important

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!