Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Throwback Thursday



Some of my favorite pictures from Richard's younger days. The picture in the second row is his childhood church. You can see him as a baby and toddler; a school boy; with his mom and dad; with his sisters; as a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout; a teenager; his Senior picture; graduation and then the beginning and the end of his years in the Army. The final picture is of the house that he grew up in. His mother lived there until her death at age 93. The house was built by his father. It had some really neat design ideas that were before their time. For instance a laundry shoot in the bathroom which sent the dirty clothes to the basement. A wall cabinet that held a full size ironing board in the kitchen (that is now in my bedroom) a built in recipe box in the kitchen and many other really cool things. I love looking at these old pictures. Hope you enjoy them too!

12 comments:

  1. I did enjoy them. What a handsome man! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos--I love watching progression in age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a very handsome man! How neat with the house too! I lived in a house that had a laundry chute from the second floor to the basement; us kids loved to send notes down it to each other but sometimes we would forget to retrieve the notes and the paper would get washed which wouldn't make my mom happy.

    Great pictures!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard said that sometimes he got in it and flew down to the basement. Doesn't that sound just like a ornery boy?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Old pictures (if you know who they are) are so special

      Delete
  5. What a neat collage! I'm mostly taken with those eyes! :)
    Were you ever given an opportunity to see the inside of his childhood home? Love the front porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....I got to know his mom quite well during our first 18 years together. She died four years after we got married...said I made her happy when I finally made her son an honest man. Yes, there was a swing on that front porch where we spent many hours

      Delete
  6. These are great pictures...the house I grew up in had the ironing board cabinet and a milk bottle door for the El Dora Dairy man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ironing board cabinets are fairly common now but back in the 1930's they were fairly unheard of. But a Milk Bottle door....now that is something else! How cool

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!