Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Double Bind

Last night I stayed up late reading. I had gotten close to the end and I didn't want to quit until I was done. Parts of this book were starting to drag for me. It was getting mundane. I was starting to think to myself, "for God's sake, get on with it." But I am telling you that the ending snuck up on me. It blew me away. I never even saw it coming. If that piques your interest here is what Barnes and Noble's overview says:

Overview

When Laurel Estabrook is attacked while riding her bicycle through Vermont’s back roads, her life is forever changed. Formerly outgoing, Laurel withdraws into her photography, spending all her free time at a homeless shelter. There she meets Bobbie Crocker, a man with a history of mental illness and a box of photographs that he won’t let anyone see. When Bobbie dies, Laurel discovers a deeply hidden secret–a story that leads her far from her old life, and into a cat-and-mouse game with pursuers who claim they want to save her. In a tale that travels between the Roaring Twenties and the twenty-first century, between Jay Gatsby’s Long Island and rural New England, bestselling author Chris Bohjalian has written his most extraordinary novel yet.

 

12 comments:

  1. I read this when it came out--I remember thinking it needed some editing because it was draggy in places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting plot. I think I read something from this author before, can't remember the name of it right now, maybe something about midwives?

    Will have to look for this book :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Color me, intrigued! I love stories - both in print and on the big screen - whose endings catch me by surprise. (Remember the ending of "No Where to Hide?") OK, I'm wandering off-topic - sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have read (or is it a movie) No Where to Hide. You should read this one Myra....

      Delete
  4. I wanted to reread it as soon as I was done because I couldn't believe I didn't see that ending coming. It was like....whoa, what just happened here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Wendy, but that just isn't my style to re-read a book. It does make me want to read The Great Gatsby again though. I read (cough, cough) that one in high school and I can't remember a thing...

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the ending made the slow parts worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did at that. I was blown completely away

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!