Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ten on Tuesday

I have been a reader of books for as long as I can remember. Today I have decided to follow along with my friend Kwizgiver at What if this is as Good as it Gets? and do the Ten on Tuesday challenge. This week's challenge is to list 10 Books That have Stayed With Me Long after I have Read Them. I thought I might have to think about this for awhile, but I started to list them and they just came pouring out of me. I think I could have gone on and on but I stopped at 10. And here they are:

1. Along Came a Spider

This is the first book of the Alex Cross series and I have been hooked on James Patterson's books ever since. I love a good mystery.









2. My Sister's Keeper

I have read most of Jodi Picoult's books. This was the first one that I read. It is about a 13 year old girl who was conceived specifically for the purpose of being the perfect bone marrow match for her old sister who is fighting childhood leukemia. It really opened my eyes to what both sides of this issue have to go though to survive.

3.The Clan of the Cave Bear

These are some of the best books I have ever read. They are thick, long, and packed full of information about the dawn of mankind and an amazing female heroine, Ayla. There were a total of 6 books in the series. Clan of the Cave Bear was book one. I could never get enough of these books. It sometimes was years between releases and I'd have to re-read the book before the next one in the series....love, love, love these books.

4. The Grapes of Wrath

 The first time I came into contact with this book was in a high school English class. I can honestly tell you that I was NOT impressed. I don't think I even read it. But made it through the assignments with the help of Cliffnotes. (Do they still make those, I wonder) But years later I picked up a copy at the library and found it to be one of the most fascinating books ever about the early 1930's, the Dust bowl, the Depression and a family named Joad. This is a must read by everyone. 

5.Pelican Brief

This book was my introduction to John Grisham. I love legal thrillers. I think if I had not became a nurse I would have been a detective or a lawyer. I love these kinds of thrillers. I read this book one summer when Richard and I and another couple took a road trip to Las Vegas, to the Grand Canyon, to Chicago and home. Every moment in the car this book captivated my attention. 

6. Oh, the Place You'll Go

"You have brains in your head
You Have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you chose."

Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss. I love them all but this one is the only one I own.It really offers great advice for all happenings in life.



7. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Written by Mark Twain way back in 1872, this was my first adventure book read as a young girl. I was kind of a shy kid (I know people today don't believe that) and I would have loved to have the adventures that Tom had. Such characters, such action, such memories. I love this book!




8. Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

This book came as a recommendation from my friend, Kwizgiver. It is a story about a high school boy. It takes place on one day with many flashbacks. It is Leonard Peacock's birthday and the day he decided to kill his former best friend and then kill himself. A story that will stay with you, I promise.


9. Girl Gone 

Another book recommendation. This time by my friend Wendy. One of the most bizarre husband/wife stories I have ever read. The book is full of lies, deceit, bitterness and in appropriate behavior. And being perfectly honest, I wish I would have done some of these things to my ex-husband!



10. Blue 

This was a free Nook-book. It is about a teenage girl and her father. She suffered from leukemia as a young child, and to help her through it, her father and she created a fantasy world  filled with very minute details. Later, when the cancer returns, she and her father struggle with their new relationship until something magical happens. Harley is now reading this book.

I am linking up with Carole Knits, Ten on Tuesday. And then I plan to visit some of the others to see what books made their lists. Care to join us?

14 comments:

  1. Interesting list! I agree with Clan of the Cave Bear and The Pelican Brief, and have added Leonard Peacock to my TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about adding Gone Girl--it has certainly stuck with me. It was so hard to choose just 10 books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that 10 were hard to pick....my last three reads made the list only because I can remember them so well.

      Delete
  3. I just love Grapes of Wrath. I saw a trailer for Gone Girl, the movie, yesterday. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Grapes of Wrath as well. I don't think I'll go to the movie for Gone Girl...it was pretty bizarre.

      Delete
  4. I read 3 books on your list, Paula :) I agree with what you said about Clan of the Cave Bear, Grapes of Wrath, and My Sister's Keeper. I'll have to check out some of the other books you listed. It could be funt o see what others listed as their 10 favorite books that stuck with them. One could get a big list of new books to read.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Betty My list is growing

      Delete
  5. Great list, Paula! I'm a big fan of Patterson's books as well. Grapes of Wrath, yes!!! I've not taken time to relax and really enjoy a book in ages ... this may be just the 'kick in the pants' I need to make it happen.

    PS - On recommendation of another blogger, I read "The Girls From Ames" last year and it's sure stayed with me ... something I'd recommend to ANY of 'us of a certain age '!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trying to think of my ten. Along Came A Spider is definitely one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Gosh, I LOVED The Clan of the Cave Bear Series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes. And they always made me hungry for meat when I was reading them!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!