Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Willing or Not

It is already Wednesday. It seems that time just keeps marching forward, doesn't it. Can't we pause just a bit? I want to catch my breath. But that is not the way this works. So I am joining my friend, Lisa, at My Sweet Peanut in her weekly One Word Wednesday challenge. This week the word is:



WILLING

I am not feeling all that willing right now. I am just not. I don't know why. And I am not interested in finding out why. If being willing means moving on then I'm not going to. Not just yet. If willing means: ready,  eager and prepared to do something, then I am not willing

I just completed a three year roller coaster ride. If you are interested in the journey then you can check out My Care-giving Journey Page by clicking here. I didn't ask to go on this journey. But I was willing. There were times (many more than I want to remember) when I wanted to get off. When I had taken all that I could take. When I even said, to anyone who would listen, that I couldn't do it anymore. But I kept with it. I was willing. I had to be. This man was my husband. The love of my life.
 The man who came to me 36 years ago and agreed to take care of me and two sons who were not his responsibility. And he was willing. I have never felt a more powerful love than the love that was given to me, by Richard. It couldn't have been easy for him to make the decision to date a young woman with 2 young boys. Many people out there discouraged both of us from entering into this relationship. Many people thought it wouldn't last. But it did. And you know why it did? Because both Richard and I were willing.

Marriage is not easy. All married couples know that. It is easy to just give up when things start to go downhill. I know that! Because I did it once. Richard knew that. Because he did it twice. When he and I decided to get married, after having lived together for 18 years, (I know, I know) we talked about what this was going to mean to us. For better or worse. We knew that we would have plenty of each. We had already been through a lot. For richer or poorer...yep, been there too. In sickness and in health...we didn't have a clue what was waiting for us around the corner. To Love and to cherish....we both did this. I loved and was loved. I cherished and was cherished. Til' death do us part....We were willing.


10 comments:

  1. You are at the other end of the spectrum, Paula, having lived out your vows. So many young people say the words, not knowing where life is going to take them, and a lot bale. But you and Richard were always faithful and willing, even to the end. A great testimony of love.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty.yes, this was very important to both of us

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post. I love your love story. And you are so right about having to be willing. We've made it too easy to throw in the towel - especially on marriage. It's too bad. You and Richard are shining examples of the payoff of being willing to do whatever it took. Love you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much easier to throw in the towel...no doubt about it

      Delete
  3. I love that you were willing to take on the difficult tasks that came your way. It's ok you're not willing to move on just yet. There is a lot to let go of. But, even when you say you're not willing to let go, at the same time, from what I have read about you here, you are willing to move on when it becomes time. :) Because you are a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are right...I am not feeling all that strong right now.

      Delete
  4. I loved your willingness to share your love story. I hope you know you are loved.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!