Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Today is AN Anniversary

Eighteen years ago today Richard and I, while in the beautiful Rocky Mountains, near a crystal lake where he spent many of his childhood summers, became man and wife. We had already been together for 18 years, raising kids, buying a house, and building our careers. I always thought I would be happy with just that. I didn't need to be married. But Richard did. He had asked me many, many, many times. I had worn my diamond engagement ring for several years by this time. I was afraid. Afraid of making another mistake. And I had two young sons who I didn't want to drag through another miserable marriage. So I kept dragging my feet. On this beautiful, sunny, warm August day I changed my mind. By this time my 'boys' were 20 and 24 years old. They had already had this man as their father for 18 years. I needed to do what was right and make him happy. I needed to become his wife. So, along with my best friend, her husband and their two kids we drove to Colorado and got married. The minister, who you see in the picture with his guitar, sang to us. The song he sang is on the You Tube video below with the lyrics on the screen. They are perfect for us and our love.  I miss you so much sweetheart. Happy Anniversary....















22 comments:

  1. I love that song...Happy Anniversary Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary. It looks like the perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful day and one that I will NEVER regret

      Delete
  3. Golly, 36 years together. That's darn near what Peggy and I have so far achieved at 42. I once opposed marriage--this was after we were already married--but now I wouldn't live with someone without being married because I would interpret the woman's refusal to mean what your's meant, that is, that she was withholding making a full commitment. Of course, people get married everyday without taking it all that seriously, but, still, I would want it. For one thing, I wouldn't have to go through life calling her my "partner" or "significant other," terms which I consider as awkward as they are lame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard always called me his wife anyway.....

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. Precious memories. What a good man he was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colorado?? Seriously?? where? I love that you waited 18 frickin' years " to be sure" of your commitment. Oh man, can I relate ( and posted about BUT this is about you!!) just, lovely Paula. Puh-lee zen let me know specifically WHERE IN COLORADO?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Lake Isabel is located within the San Isabel National Forest in Pueblo County and Custer County, Colorado, United States. Do you know this area? Give me the link on your blog about your commitment phobia. I would love to read it

      Delete
  6. Such a sweet picture of the two of you, Paula! Richard was persistent to keep asking you, I'm glad you finally said yes! Happy anniversary!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary. It's good to look back at all the great years you've had together and it sounds like you've had a lot of great years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect venue for a perfect love. You look stunning in that hat, Paula. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra. Funny story about that hat....a the last moment my friend thought I needed a 'veil' and I vetoed that. So we ran to Pueblo and bought that hat for $1. I still have it 18 years later...

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary - what a beautiful place and I adore that song! You look so cute - like you were born to walk barefoot on that mountain with your love. My mom was born in Fowler - not too far from Pueblo! Pretty country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly where Fowler is. We spent a lot of time in those mountains

      Delete
  10. I played the song and sang along out loud for/with you. Isn't it a lovely piece of music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! And it was such a surprise for us as we had never even met the minister before he came to marry us.

      Delete
  11. Hi Paula - what a wonderful post ... I'm so pleased you followed your heart with Richard and he finally was able to make you his wife ... but how happy you have been for all those years ... lovely story ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do truly believe we had a great 'love story'. He wasn't perfect. But then who is? But it was the perfect relationship for me.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!