Friday, August 22, 2014

Tis The Season for CHANGE

On Friday's I join a group of friends and other bloggers for Five Minute Friday. Kate Motaung at Heading Home is our hostess for the challenge. We write for 5 minutes without over-thinking, editing, or worrying about what others will think. The only rule is to link-up and support others who are writing. Let's get started....This weeks prompt is CHANGE

GO

Oh wow! This is not one of my favorite words. I am one of those people who doesn't deal well with change of any kind. I like things to go along status quo. The same everyday. That is just how I roll. Bring on any changes, for me, and you are bound to see anxiety and moodiness. All the years I worked at the hospital I didn't like when things weren't going smoothly. I think one of the biggest reasons I liked changing to the nursing home so much was because it was day to day with few changes.

winter 2014
Oh the changes that were brought about in my life when Richard got sick three years ago. I had to quit working. I took over all the grocery shopping (he had always done that), all the meal preparing (he helped here a lot), all the financial matters, (this was totally his baby), and all the taking care of house and car. And I didn't like it one darn bit. But I survived. And I do okay. In fact, I used to tell Richard that when it came to the financial part of our family life, I was much better at it than he was. Of course, at this point, he didn't care. So he just smiled! Oh how I miss that sweet smile.

Now here I am again making changes in my life. Not big changes like I had to make when he became sick. Just the change of not having him here anymore. Just the change of not having him to talk to. To take care of. To smile at and hold his hand. To feel him squeeze my fingers. To hear him say "I love you sweetheart!". Just those changes...

STOP

Now it's your turn. How does the word change impact your life. Go over to Heading Home and join the challenge.

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Paula. And I grieve with you this loss of your husband! Praying for you this moment, that you'll know in your solitary and too-empty moments that you are not alone. There is a God who sees your tears and meets you right where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather....I am counting on that!

      Delete
  2. Wow, those are some very difficult changes to endure! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like change either. You've shown you could adapt before and now you can do it again! God bless you. May you feel His presence throughout every change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no choice but to adapt...but I don't like it a bit

      Delete
  4. Are you sure we aren't sisters?! "Bring on any changes, for me, and you are bound to see anxiety and moodiness." Yes! I get it. I feel ya. I do not like change at all. I'm a status quo kind of girl too! My husband has made up a little name for me. He calls me a "bread crumb-er", pointing out that like Hansel and Gretel, I like to know my path, I like things to stay the same, no deviations for me! Every time I display my change-averse attitude, he just looks at me and smiles and says "bread crumb-er".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bread crumb-er too then! And I doubt that I'll be changing anytime soon! Thanks Fancy for a smile today

      Delete
  5. The times they are a changing.....my thoughts are with you as they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said before, it is change that I am forced into. Change that I don't want and I have no choices about. But change I will

      Delete
  6. OK, I realize there are those to welcome the unexpected; but they might as well be speaking some archaic language. Change and I are NOT best buddies, never mind friends. Witness the take-over of my company almost two years ago -- it's turned into a sometimes nightmarish atmosphere, turning people (including myself) into folks I'm not proud of. But adapt we must, if I want to continue paying my bills.

    I adore this picture of Richard's smile! But you know what? I can't stop thinking of the sweet video you posted of him a while back, and remember him singing "Oklahoma!" with that big grin.

    Huggers,
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at that video almost daily my friend. I love it and am so glad that I had the foresight to make it before he died!

      Delete
  7. Stopping over from FMF. So sorry about the loss of your husband and all the changes that has brought to your life. I'm not particularly fond of change either, but try my best to go with the flow since I also don't like to make waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like change but I am a wave-maker. Nice to meet you Debbie

      Delete
  8. I'm with you, Paula, I'm not one for change either; I especially hate the changes you've have to go through this past month and basically ever since Richard had his stroke.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't been easy. I am praying for you Betty...that you will be years and years and years from any kind of these changes

      Delete
  9. Paula, stopping in from FMF and your comment on my blog. The kind of change you are experiencing are not familiar to me, but we recently watched my husband's brother and his wife face this kind of change because of a rare dementia he was diagnosed with. Our SIL's nephew wanted her to think of her life in terms of the "new normal" after her husband died. I agreed with her insistence that the "new normal" wasn't making life easy for her to accept. God would handle that. I'm praying for you as you go through the "good, bad and ugly."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that is what people tell me too....a new normal. My life will never be normal again. Normal was with my husband. What I am having to do now if find a new life. It WILL be good, bad, and ugly.

      Delete
  10. This is a huge change and such a hard one. It is true that our ability to cope with things we thought would be beyond us can be quite amazing. It's also true that having to make those changes can be heartbreaking. I am so sorry for your loss and hope and pray that you will find new ways to make meaning of your life now.

    Juliet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliet. You are right on in knowing it is one of the biggest changes a person will ever have to go through!

      Delete
  11. Awesome post. I'm there with you on not liking changes! I like my routine. You went through so many changes with your husband. You could probably write a book on this prompt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told that by a number of people. BUT I don't know if I could go back through all those emotions

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!