Monday, August 4, 2014

The Caregiving Part of the Journey is Over!

Today marks 2 weeks since I lost the love of my life. I miss him. I am sure that I will every single day for the rest of my life. I still mourn. I still cry. Not as much. Today I feel like the 'new normal' life will begin. All of the family has gone home. The memorial service was on Saturday and it was everything, and more, that we wanted it to be. I cannot begin to tell you how very personal it was. It was a beautiful send off to an amazing man. We summed him up on Thursday night when we met with the pastors to plan the ceremony. Pastor Mark asked us for single words that would describe Richard. This is the phrase that came from those words: Richard was romantic, sentimental, patriotic, caring, loving and a grumpy old fart. And all of that is true. As time goes on I will share more with you. But I wanted to let you all know that we are doing as well as can be expected. Today is our first day at home alone. Darian and Harley started debate camp this morning and then next week debate practices will start and we will figure out how our 'new' life will be. 

24 comments:

  1. Thinking of you. Bless you in this new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I'm crying. I know you will figure out your new normal life. Take good care of yourself. Hugs from the canyon. ~ Inger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inger. I just didn't know it would be this hard

      Delete
  3. Richard is smiling down upon all of you and he laughed out loud when that description was read at his memorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that he is smiling. But yet I am still not!

      Delete
  4. You are doing find sis. Need anything just call

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the description of Richard. A humorous, touching tribute. Sending you much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kwiz! It was a wonderful, touching tribute.

      Delete
  6. I too like the description of Richard; it brought a smile to me as I was reading the list. It will be hard to establish a new normal, Paula, but I know you will do your best to do so with the same grace you did in your caregiving journey.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear from you, Paula. Tears help wash away, cleanse, clear a path for what is coming. You will always have Richard with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been plenty of tears shed, that is for sure

      Delete
  8. I can imagine that this brought a much-needed quiet laugh to everyone who knew Richard. I sense that you are feeling a little better and I am so glad! Keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to see your post. Sounds like you had the perfect tribute to Richard at his service. I love that sentence - especially the grumpy old fart part...that's why I want to live forever - so I get to be a grumpy old fart (with a wink). Happy that you are moving forward. Slowly is the way to go - take it easy on yourself and know you have lots of us out here praying for you every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just going to go one day at a time, for now

      Delete
  10. Thank you for this update, my friend. Truly, his memorial sounds like something Richard would have loved.
    Baby steps .....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to see you posting. I love all the words that describe your wonderful husband--the "grumpy old fart" made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa....I have always believed that you share the same great love with Joe that I did with Richard

      Delete
  12. Dear Paula - what a lovely read ... Richard described with love and with passion and some comedy. I'm so pleased for you the Memorial Service was just what you'd wanted ...

    ... with thoughts as time carries you forward with new ideas and projects ... all the very best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!