Monday, August 11, 2014

Nine Years is such a Short Time....

Love this 70's hair!!
Today is the anniversary of my mom's death. She died on August 11, 2005. Richard and I were out of the country when she died and I learned of her death when we arrived back into the USA. It wasn't an unexpected death. We just didn't know when. I had told my family that should something happen, not to try to notify me because there would be nothing that I could do. So they didn't. I called home when we arrived ashore in Galveston, Texas to learn that mom had died. It was a sad, long trip home. But I was happy for her that her journey had finally ended. I had visited her just before we left and she told me that she wanted to go home to be with the Lord. So I was okay. But the cremation had taken place and the obituary had appeared in the paper. There was no funeral, per her request. We had a balloon launch at my house as way of remembering Grandma Ping. 


With my grandchildren
Can you find Darian, Harley, and Paige?

Paige and Harley

My brothers and sister

8 comments:

  1. My sister was in Paris when Pop's passed away. She was going to cancel her trip but there was no reason to do that. We knew Pop's was going to die also, we just, like you, did not know when. We were able to wait until she got home for the viewing before the cremation and the Mass. Pops would have wanted her to have her trip that she had planned and I am sure that your Mom wanted you to enjoy your trip too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom had a pretty good case of dementia at the end of her life. But, yes, she would have wanted us to have a good trip. There was nothing I could have done if I had come home.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to learn you and your mom experienced that last get-together; and that she helped you understand and accept what was to come.
    My own mother's been gone 10 years now, on January 13. I sure understand what the author Sarah Ban Breathnach meant when she coined the phrase, "silent anniversaries of the heart."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Every time I told her good bye I acted as if it were the last time that I would see her. I knew that her day was coming. And she welcomed it.

      Delete
  3. It will be 8 years in December that my mom passed. The first few years were really hard, especially around anniversaries of her birth/death, etc. Still miss her and wish she was with us, but know that she was ready to go home to Jesus (she was 85; basically in okay health until her last 6 weeks of life and still had her memory intact). I like the idea of a balloon launch; fun to see the kids when they were so young!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids like the idea too! Especially when everyone is cremated and there isn't a cemetery to go to. I miss my mom too. But I wouldn't wish her back

      Delete
  4. I was at a party when my daddy passed away. I had a message on my answering machine from him when I got home. 10 minutes later my best friend was knocking on my door and then my mom called with the news. I still have the little tiny cassette - not that I will ever be able to find something to play it on...but I have it. I'm glad you got that last visit with your mom and knew she was ready. It makes such a difference when you have no regrets or things left unsaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Lisa. And even if you have those regrets or you left things unsaid they can still hear us talk. I talk to my mom a lot. And I talk to Richard all day long

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!