Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Back to School Contract

A couple of years ago I found a Back to School contract somewhere on-line and it spelled out exactly what I expected of the kiddos. I could always pull it out and say, "Look, you signed this on this day and agreed to this." It didn't stop all arguments, but it helped.  So this year I just drew up my own contract. We discussed it yesterday. I like to have their input. Below is what we came up with. 




Back to School Contract
This contract is between                          and Grandma

1.     Bedtime and Awake Time

2.     Chores:
Every day after school I will:


3.     Television, video games, and computer time: No TV, video games, or computer until after homework, chores, showers, and dinner.
No more than 2 hours per day and you may chose how to divide up the time.

4.     Homework: Immediately after school. If there is homework for Monday, it will be done on Friday, before any activities.

5.     Powerschool grades will be checked on Friday’s. Any D’s or F’s will lose me all TV, video games, and computer time until said grades are brought up. (That means at least one week)

Final Notes: If you are in compliance with the above rules, WITHOUT ARGUMENTS, all week you may spend time with your friends over the weekends.
If NOT in compliance, you may spend time hanging out with Grandma.

______________________________________Date_______________________________________________________________Date_________________________



14 comments:

  1. Great idea! Contracts have worked in our family.

    I just hate to see "time with Grandma" as the consequence for Not being in compliance. Surely they treasure time with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They spend lots of time with grandma!!! It just sounds better than saying "you are grounded"

      Delete
  2. I saw the humor you that I think you were striving for with the "spend time with Grandma" LOL>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Sets the boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tihnk it is a great idea, Paula, and a well worded contract. It puts the responsibility on them to manage their behavior and school work/grades and they clearly know what the consequences are. And they can never come back and say "you never told me that."

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to do this too - with both kids. We tried a verbal version last year, but having it in writing is going to be much easier to enforce. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped us a bit last year. I am more relaxed with the rules this year. Maybe I am less stressed and not taking it out on them so much.

      Delete
  6. Hi Paula .. I think I'd miss all the contractual deadlines - so I could hang out with GrandMa .. cheating! Good for you .. I'm sure they'll help you a lot, as they know what you've been through and will understand ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They, too, have been through a lot. Both of them have lived with us for the past 6 years!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!