Monday, August 4, 2014

August Goals

If there was ever a time that I need to set goals to get me through the days, it is now. So I will look back to July to see how things went and now set my August Goals.

1. Organize my home...with Richard's passing at the end of the month I was able to do some deep cleaning with the help of my cousin, getting ready for the Memorial service. My July goal was to remove wallpaper in Darian's room, paint, make headboard, and hang light. Believe it or not I was able to get the wallpaper stripped and the walls patched and sanded. Now for my August goals:
   1. Paint the walls and the woodwork in Darian's room. Make the headboard. Hang the new light.

2.Freezer cooking...well that goal for July went with the way of the caregiving. There just wasn't time. And the last two weeks of July we were provided a meal everyday by friends, family, and Justin's SWAT team. It was refreshing not to have to worry about a meal while I was caring for Richard in his final days. Now on to my new goal for August.
   1. Cook and freeze hamburger and chicken for easy meals.
   2. Make chicken wraps and freeze.

3.Family Budget...My bank sold and the changeover process went smoothly. Now I am facing a new challenge. One of our social security checks will leave. And the retirement budget will be halved. So budgeting will really become important at this next stage of my life.
    1. Find our what the new monthly income is going to be. (Have to wait on death certificates before I know any of this)
    2. Set up new family budget based on new income.

4.Use more coupons....I failed at this in July. But now for August it will be imperative.
    1. Have the kids help with finding coupons.

5. Use my savings account better....this is on hold for the moment.

6. Use Hospice better....This goal now falls off the list. Our Hospice nurse was excellent. She was with us for hours on the day that Richard passed. But her company sucks deluxe. I have not heard a single word from them since he died. But I did get a bill today that they billed Medicare for their final services.....maybe a touch bitter here.

7.Forgive myself...this is always easier said than done. But I have NO regrets in how I took care of my husband. I did exactly what he wanted. Right up to the very last breath. And then planned a perfect Memorial Service that he would have loved. 
   1. Continue to forgive myself

8.Worry Less...Love More. I cannot say that I worried less in July. But I know that I loved more.

   1. And that is what I will try to do in August....worry less, love more.

How did you do with your goals for July? Do you make goals? I have a lot of goals in mind for the upcoming months. It will be my goals that will save my life.

10 comments:

  1. It is so true, Paula, you did a great job with care giving and you definitely should have no regrets. Would it help if you write a letter to hospice and express your concerns with them (not the nurse but the company itself?) Maybe if you type it out and then see if you want to send it? I know that helps me get some of my feelings out about things that weren't handled right, etc. I rarely send the letter but it is good to get it out so to speak.

    As I always say, it is good that you set goals like this and then go back and see how you did.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea betty! Yep, goal setting is good for me. Especially now. I might have to set daily goals as I find that I just want to sit in the recliner and stare at the TV

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula - this is inspiring to read .. sad too - but you are making sure your days are fulfilled and I love the thought about worry less, love more ... you really have done a tremendous caring job - while giving us an insight into these days that may come upon others of us, or like me have gone by ... so I'm so pleased your number 7 has been fulfilled - absolutely no regrets ...

    With many thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary. You always inspire me when you visit

      Delete
  3. Great goals.....carry on, each day will get better. Mostly...some days you will still feel like you got hit by a truck but remember your 7th goal on those days and be kind and patient with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am still in the feeling like I got hit by a truck phase. It comes and goes in waves. And I feel surprised every time it hits me

      Delete
  4. Great goals...I've started using the WalMart savings catcher - and I've got almost $20 in just a month. It's not going to replace my paycheck, but I'm going to let it keep collecting to help pay for Thanksgiving dinner! I wish I could get your motivation to paint my daughter's room - it is still pink and she is done with a pink room! Hopefully checking things off your list will help you get through this awful time a little bit easier. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to find the motivation to do ANYTHING

      Delete
  5. I get overwhelmed sometimes by setting goals....I'm always afraid that by setting them, I'm setting myself up for failure. Especially when it comes to monetary goals. Thanks for this post today--I think I'm going to look into the whole freezer meals thing now that Joe is back in school full time (and all day, no less).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't let it bother me anymore If I don't make the goal. I just make it again for the next month. Life is too short

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!