Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday Update

An update on our journey:

We had a short burst of energy on Saturday morning. Richard was up for a bit, ate breakfast, and back to bed. Then very quiet and slept most of the rest of the day.

Sunday brought another quiet day. We pulled out all his 35 mm slides, taken from the time he and I first got together, until around the time Danny was 16 and Justin was 12. This is when he bought a new camera and the slideshows came to an end. Lots of vacation pictures and a few good laughs (especially about hairdos and clothing styles). I sorted through the ones I wanted to convert to digital and sent the rest over to Trina's (Justin's lady) for her pleasure. She is new to photography and I know will get a kick out of his whole 'slide' world. He sat up briefly in his wheelchair, but it was apparent he couldn't handle it so we put him back to bed and back on his oxygen.

Since then he has mostly slept. Awakens briefly. Stares ahead. At brief moments I know he knows we are near. Takes sips of fluid. Pain Medication is delivered when he shows signs of needing it. And mostly sleep. Our 'adopted' grandchildren visited last night and it was pretty hard on Piper and Willow, ages 12 and 10, as they haven't been around as much to see him grow steadily weaker. They said their good-byes and we shared a good, long cry. They plan another visit this week.

Now we go on with living....and watching! All prayers and thoughts have been appreciated. I am doing well. I am at peace! I am ready. (I think).



20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Paula. Glad you had that time with viewing the slides and the laughter. I know you're ready, but I know it still will be so hard when it is actually there. You have been an exemplary care giver and continue to be so. I hope at the end of it all you will have no regrets with anything you did because everything you did to care for him, I think you did it well, as tough as it has been.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Betty....yes, It will be hard. For some time to come. But he will be at peace and so will I!

      Delete
  2. I am thinking of you and sending so much bubble of love and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie! I like the idea of a bubble of love.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the update. Keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula .. that's the best bit of 'news' - that you are ready .. however - still much peace and love to you both .. thinking of you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary....it will still be hard but I know that peace is coming

      Delete
  5. Glad to read this update. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the short post. I was thinking of you over the weekend. Peace to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, appreciate the updates. Prayers continue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Paula -special prayers for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!