Saturday, May 10, 2014

Lessons Learned from My Mother

Since tomorrow is Mother's Day, I am going to share some things I learned from my mom. I am linking up with Love Happy Daily on her May Blog Everyday Challenge. Today's prompt is:

A fashion, beauty or life tip.

One of the first things I learned from my mom at the sweet age of 15 was that when it came to make-up, less is more. She taught us to use as little make-up as we needed. She told me my face did not need foundation as I had no flaws to hide. A touch of lipstick, a swipe of mascara, and that is all that a young girl needs. I wish more mother's were telling their girls this today. I cannot believe how many young girls are wearing full face make-up. With way too much eye shadow and eyeliner.



My mom also was a believer in taking off your bra unless you were going somewhere. Otherwise, let those girls be free. I have few memories of my mom wearing a bra. Unless she was dressing up for something. Isn't that crazy. I hardly ever go without a bra. Almost always have a sports bra on. I think that goes to my days of being a day sleeper (because I worked the night shift) and you never knew when you'd have to answer the door or go running after a kid somewhere.

Two of my mom's favorite expressions for life were: No way ever promised you a rose Garden. And Life is not Fair. And I can't tell you how many times I have said both of those to my kids and now my grandkids.

Now I am off to Link up with Sunday at Love Happy Daily. Don't you want to join?

19 comments:

  1. What a timely share! The to wear-or-not-to-wear cracks me up. I was always too self-conscious to go without a bra, even in the 60's when ban-the-bra and women's lib was in vogue.

    I'm so glad my sweet DIL practices 'less is more' (make-up) with her own daughters. Wish someone like your mom was around while I was trying to disguise my shortcomings with paint and powder. lol!

    Hope you're treated like a queen tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra....it will just be another day at our house.

      Delete
  2. Your mom had the right idea!! Even though I am not a "small-breasted" woman (exactly the opposite, in fact), I refuse to wear a bra unless I'm actually getting in the car and going some place... Being large-breasted, bras are literally torture devises, and I, to this day, have not found a single one (and I've tried many) that even approaches comfortable.

    I spend 14 hours in one on Sundays, and the highlight of my week is getting that thing off as soon as I get in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my mom...she was not a small breasted woman either....

      Delete
  3. I love when you share happy memories of your Mom. I wonder if I will ever have any happy memories or if my memories will all be of her illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing once the caregiving is over, even the illness memories will be happy ones. Just look at the pictures you post - she's a peach.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Lisa. I know that you have happy memories as well. Mine got better the longer it has been since Mom left us

      Delete
  4. I love that your tips came from your mom. I can't imagine ever going without a bra - although I have these "barely there" things that are too comfortable for words...so maybe that's cheating! I agree about makeup - I'm always taken aback when Peanut has her dance stage makeup on...too much, too grown up...argghhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like parents can't tell these girls "NO!" isn't it.

      Delete
  5. Good lessons taught. I know, it is amazing what the girls wear these days with makeup. I did hear of a study where they said bras could be bad to wear, but now I can't remember why, so maybe your mom was on to something. I hope you have a Happy Mother's Day tomorrow!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you Betty! My mom was always 'on to something'!

      Delete
  6. I never go without my bra. I even sleep in mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Fancy! Maybe it was all those 'braless' years with my mom

      Delete
  7. Hi Paula - your mother was so right with her words and deeds .. the bra scenario - certainly now I wear one! Kids tend to adapt their make-up and probably go minimal ... rather than totally over the top ...

    Have happy Mother's Day with some lovely memories ... and I hope today of all days you have a good one - with thoughts - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mother's Day Hilary! My mom was a 'case' that's for sure

      Delete
  8. I can't wait til the evening. Bra comes off and in comes the couch. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I almost always have a bra on....but not my mom...she almost never had one on

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!