Friday, May 9, 2014

It's been a Week....

Over on Lisa-Jo Baker's site she hosts Five Minute Friday. I like to participate but when I went to her site today and read the prompt I had to take a few steps back. Because just like Lisa said in her post...it's been a week, heck it's been a month. And a long 18 months before that. And a whole four years." Well mine hasn't been a whole four years but it has sure been a week, a month, and a couple of years, that's for sure. I didn't know if I could write for five minutes about being grateful. But I am going to give a stab at it right now. Right now before I pour myself a stiff drink and lay my head down for the night.

Go..

My week started out with about 2 inches of water on the bathroom floor. You can go read all about it here. Try having to explain why there is a plumber in the house to a man with dementia. I don't know if he has gotten it yet. The problem was finally fixed on Thursday, early morning, when the plumber returned to re-install the toilet. All was well with water, showers, tubs, and toilets at our house. I am very grateful for plumbers.
That is until I walked into the bathroom this morning to take a shower and found about an inch of water on the floor. Through a little investigation I found that the little flex hose that he attached from the toilet to the turn off valve was dripping...heck it was a steady stream. I was able to tighten it and stop the stream of water. And mop the floor. And even be a bit grateful that I didn't need to call the plumber back again. (p.s. I haven't yet seen the bill).

Richard has had a bad week mentally. He is so confused and just can't understand why I won't let him go outside and do some work in the yard. I am grateful for the kid's being out of school to help keep his mind off it. I never, not ever, in a million years thought I would ever utter those words. "glad to have them out of school..." But I am grateful that both of them are able to help me with their papa. They entertain him and distract him. And sometimes he has even made me giggle this week with some of his silliness. He has been both up and down, strength-wise, and it is hard sometimes to do the physical part of this. I am grateful for my strong, muscular grandson. I really, really am.

As much as I whine and cry on my blog posts I am grateful for what I have in my life. I am grateful to still have my husband here with me even though caring for him is so very hard. I wouldn't trade my life with anyone....

Stop

I am linking up with Lisa-Jo's Five Minute Friday.

14 comments:

  1. Can I be honest and say that your post has made me consciously more grateful for what I have? Thank you for sharing and I pray that you continue to be blessed with strength (physically and emotionally) and that you have more days laughing at the silliness. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing is the best medicine...or so they say

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the plumbing problems were fixed; I hope the bill won't be too bad. It is good to have the kids home for a distraction I'm sure as well as give you a few extra bodies to help out with the care that you do. I can only hope you have a bit of a rest over the next few days. It must be hard dealing with someone with dementia. I remember stories of hubby's mom when she was in assisted living with her husband. Every morning she would take the pictures of the family off the wall to pack them up saying she was going home that day and every evening her husband would put the pictures back only to repeat the process the next morning. It makes you think of that age old question that circulates at times, would a person rather lose their memory or lose their physical capacity. Sometimes reading about situations like your husband and several others, it makes me think I rather lose my physical capacities.

    Here's a link to a blog with a lady being a care giver with her husband with Alzheimer's.

    http://plantcityladyandfriends.blogspot.com/

    ((((Paula))))

    betty



    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has lost both and that is what makes taking care of him so hard.

      Delete
  3. It’s interesting that when someone is asked to stop and think about things that are positive in their life they can always come up with something. I guess it’s true that even in the darkest times there is always a little light shining in somewhere. I think you are the light for right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is getting harder and harder to see the positives...but I will keep trying

      Delete
  4. And the hits just keep on coming...And you just keep catching those fly balls and curve balls. I am grateful for blogland and having met you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I feel the same about you!

      Delete
  5. I am grateful to have met you. Reading about your life, your incredible strength, you humor, your skill in describing even the darkest moments with some gratitude behind, reinforces the gratitude I already have for my life and its struggles and issues. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Inger. I am happy to have found you as well.

      Delete
  6. Bless your heart. I've been thinking of you all week...the plumbing on top of everything else just doesn't seem fair. Amazed at your spirit, as always. Keep fighting the good fight...I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. You know how it is? Seems like the troubles just never go away

      Delete
  7. So glad to hear that the plumbing problem has been resolved. I do hope the bill won't be too bad. I had the irrigation guy out on Friday and he kept staying and digging and looking around the yard and staying some more. I know the bill was adding up the longer he was here. I dread its arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm praying for a low bill too. But I don't have much faith in it!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!