Monday, May 5, 2014

How To Unclog a Toilet....the right way

I am writing in the May Blogging Challenge and linking up with Love Happy Daily. I like challenges and this one has some really fun prompts. 

Here is today's prompt:



Write a ‘How to’ post teaching everyone … well, how to do something! Cooking, crafting, or anything else that takes your fancy.






When I first woke up this morning I did not know what I was going to write about. And then I had a plumping diaster and now I am going to tell you exactly how to go about solving it. It will be a step-by-step tutorial on how to un-clog a clogged toilet. Ready set here we go:

1. Darian had already been to the bathroom and Harley was helping me to empty Richard's catheter when she came running out, screaming, "the toilet is over-flowing." I ran into the room and sure enough there was water all over the floor. So step one is grab towels and throw them down to soak up all the water on the floor.

2. Question everyone who has been in the bathroom so far this morning (Darian and Harley) to see what might have been flushed into the toilet. Nothing more than the 'normal' things. Grab the plunger.

3. Plunge like crazy and flush again. Hear another scream, "help it's overflowing", this time it is me screaming. More towels grabbed and thrown on the floor.

4. Go into second bathroom that is directly behind first bathroom and discover that 'stuff' is coming up into the shower. Yuck! Flush second bathroom toilet! Don't ask me why. It seemed like a good thing at the time. And watch as water flows out of it and onto the floor. Plunge second toilet.

5. Get that snake gizmo out of the garage and snake both toilets and both the bathtub and the shower drains. Find huge hunk of hair in shower drain.

6. Assess both toilets. No change. Seems to be a major clog somewhere. 

7. Go to store and buy drain cleaner.

8. Come home and dip out most of the water from both toilets and pour drain cleaner into both toilets and the bathtub and shower drains.

9. Wait alloted period of time and pour hot water down both toilets and both drains.
We are not having a problem in the kitchen or the laundry room or the third bathroom that is in the laundry room.

10. Go to the internet to read what the problem might be.

11. Flush second toilet. All works well. Flush the shower drain. All is clear. Flush the bathtub drain. Yipee....we are on the right track. Flush the first toilet........

12. Water from first toilet runs under the wall into the second bathroom and floods the floor. Grab more towels. 

13. Admit defeat.

14. Call a plumber. They will get back with me. It is now 7:27 p.m. and I have not heard back. Good bet I won't see a plumber until tomorrow. 

15. Thank God we have a third bathroom.




28 comments:

  1. Oh yikes! So sorry! Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fancy. I am sure it will all work out.....just cost me a bit more than I planned.

      Delete
  2. Oh my Goodness, I am so sorry Paula but I am crying here I am laughing so hard. What a great post!! Keep your sense of humor and know that I am sending you huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my life is just a howl! I am able to laugh tonight. But there better be a plumber here sometime tomorrow

      Delete
  3. Good luck with that. I'll just mention that if you knew where the clean-out plug was and had the right size drain blaster (a cylindrical black rubber thing that hooks up to a garden hose), you might be able to do it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. I have been told we don't have a clean out plug. We are on a cement foundation. No basement or crawl space. And I can't imagine how I would screw that up!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh no! What a disaster! That is good that you have a 3rd bathroom! Sad thing is, plumber will come and do a little of this, a little of that, charge an arm and a leg and be there less than 15 minutes.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I tried everything I knew to do first. But I just can't figure it out on my own. Oh how I miss my 'home repair husband!"

      Delete
  5. OMG what a run around but I love your sense of humour ... keep calm and carry on. One thing worrying me still. Is Richard hooked back up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am skipping all the steps and starting at 14 and so happy for 15!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have done the same dang thing. But I was trying to save money.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! Hope you got it all sorted but this post did make me giggle!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not quite yet sorted out but a plumber is working on it

      Delete
  8. Oh my. Your day sounds as bad as mine was.

    Mom had a doctor's appointment off site. The community van took us because mom is wheel chair bound. The appointment was 30 minutes away. The van dropped us off at the wrong building - and since I am not from that area I didn't discover the error right away. By the time we got picked back up almost an hour had passed. From the time we left the community mom was slumped over in her chair shutting herself off from the world taking shelter in her dementia brain. I decided this appointment wasn't worth stressing her delicate mental state so I told the driver to take us back - canceling the appointment.

    I did not listen to my gut and refuse this appointment initially - got talked into it by the unit manager nurse - even though I was pretty sure it wasn't necessary - and probably detrimental to her mentally.

    I am more angry at myself - but I have plenty of frustration left over for them!

    When we got back mom perked up ( as much as she ever does ) and I knew I was right to bring her back.

    And then I came home and had a glass of red wine which I promptly spilled on my self, my couch and my lap top. The whole day sucked!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elaine. I am so sorry. After Richard went onto Hospice we quit all those ridiculous doctor's appointments. They were just as hard on me as him and for what reason......we aren't going to heal him.

      Delete
  9. Holy moly! I would have been out of towels! ;-) I hope it wasn't an expensive fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was out of towels. I have already washed and dried them twice. No word from a plumber yet. Now I have called two and am waiting on call backs

      Delete
  10. plumbing problems! One of many homeowners nightmares! Good luck! I hope it gets fixes cheaply!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sick of being a homeowner. I want a place where everything is taken care of for me. I am still waiting to hear from a plumber!

      Delete
  11. lol Paula lol !!!!!!!!!
    Hub does that stuff.
    Smooch x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh.My.God. :(
    Were I in your shoes, I'd probably have closeted myself off with a bottle of whiskey at #4. (And I don't even LIKE whiskey). Hope your tomorrow is much brighter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but the more whiskey you drink the more you have to pee....see where this takes you?

      Delete
  13. Just found this...we had "cat 5 sewage damage" recently...downstairs - in mom's bathroom. It was a nightmare and I thought I would die. Or explode. Or kill someone. Or run away from home. Or get drunk. I did none of the above and now I have beautiful new wood floors and beautiful new bathroom (and $1600 less in my bank account). You, as always, are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plumbers just left and it looks like it was tree roots...don't have a bill yet. Hope it wasn't expensive. Not a new bathroom either!!

      Delete
  14. Oh dear! That sounds like it was a nightmare. Good thing you have a third bathroom to fulfill your needs, while you wait for a plumber to come fix the other. It's always a tough problem once you get all your pipes clogged up. Maybe you can look up some simple DIY processes online, which have step-by-step instructions on how to unclog simple clogged pipes. Than can serve as preventive maintenance and avoiding big clogs.


    Sheryl August @ Mr. Rooter Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I did Sheryl...good old You Tube...but nothing worked. Until the plumber came and removed the tree roots

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!