Sunday, May 11, 2014

How I Become What I am Today

I really hope you didn't come here to find out all the juicy gossip about what made me who I am. Or if I had some life changing experience that turned me around. My title is about my blog. I am participating in the Blog Every Day In May Challenge at Love Happy Daily. Today's blog prompt is:


Tell us how your blog got its name (and tagline).


On October 8, 2008, I decided to start a blog. I don't know what made me decide to do that, but I did. I didn't tell anyone that I was going to have a blog. I just started one and began to write. At that time my blog was called Paula's Place. Some of my long time blogging friends will remember me from that blog. During the time that I was blogging at Paula's Place I discovered quite a few different Paula's Places when I type that into Google:
  • Paula's Place..personal couture for horse riders
  • Paula's Place...A book About Seduction Part 1.
  • Paula's Place...a Bed & Breakfast in Homer, Alaska
  • Paula's Place...where an Australian lady sold her self-created teaching resources
  • Paula's Place-a blog about the experiences and adventures of a transgendered person
  • Paula's Place...a restaurant in Mooreton, N.D.
  • Paula's Place of Electrology in Massachusetts. 
I think there are like 4 parts!!


So, because of issues that I don't want to go into today, I decided to change my blog. I even made it private at one point because of these unfortunate events. This was in August of last year. I did not stop blogging but I did try some different blogging places. I tried out WordPress, and didn't like it. So I made a new blog and imported/exported all of old blog and the new blog was born.

Smidgens, Snippets, & Bits

My title is because that is what my blog is all about. The smidgens, snippets, and bits of my life. My tag line is "the ramblings of a caregiver." If you have read my story you know that I am the full-time caregiver to my husband, Richard, who has end stage Parkinson's disease. And I am also the caregiver (mother/grandmother) to two teenage grandchildren who have lived with us for more than 5 years. 

So there you have it. Why I am Who I am Today...or my blog anyway. Now tell me why you named your blog what you did....and then go share with Sunday at Love Happy Daily and link-up. I know you want to.


22 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, loved checking out your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you hear. Come back anytime.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story. I love the title of your blog. Don't know why but I love the word 'Smidgens!' Lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that word too...it's fun to say!

      Delete
  3. You are the only Paula I read x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa....I love it when you visit too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Paula, What a great post - LOVE your blog name... it's GREAT!! Looking forward to reading more of your posts :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you wanted to change it and I LOVE the name of it :) Thanks for sharing ! xo Charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there are a few Paula's Places out there....

      Delete
  6. I love your blog name. Much better than Paula's place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like the name of your blog and enjoyed reading how it morphed to the name it has now; sorry for the hassles with the previous name though. Over the years I've had many blogs, LOL, my first one was "Of Mini Paws and Menopause" because I was going through it at the time and of course mini paws was Koda. Then I did A Corgi in Southern California since we were moving back to Southern California from Montana. Then I took a 15 month blog break, came back with Koda's Corgi Tails. Then switched back to a Corgi in Southern Califonria which I had until December 2011, where I started A Bench With a View. One time when taking Koda for a car ride, I saw an empty bench over looking the ocean. I snapped the picture and thought what great idea for a blog entry, which then turned into a new blog. I still have a Corgi in Southern California, had it private for a bit but now it is public. I tried Wordpress too but I like blogger format better.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mini Paws and Menopause sounds like it would have been a hoot. Glad you continue to visit Betty

      Delete
  8. I remember Paula's Place! ... so glad you left a trail of bread crumbs for us to 'find' you once more!
    My blog name, Respice Prospice, actually came from an inscription on a lovely two-sided locket given me lots of years ago. Try as I might to live in the here 'n now, "Mr. Past" keeps sticking its big nose in my face, reminding me to "look to the present, but learn from the past." 'Still working on that 'learning' part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Past can haunt all of us...One day I think I'll just kick him out the door and see how that works out for me.

      Delete
  9. I think I found you when you were Paula's place.i can see now why you changed your name. My own blog name was picked because it didn't limit what I talked about. And it began as a focus on personal goals because I was swamped with caregiver duties and I felt like I was losing who I was and what I wanted out of life. That initial focus has faded somewhat and crystallized down to my constant effort to maintain quality of life for myself ... Which seems to be more and more difficult as I get older. So much effort goes in to remaining normal as we age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you totally Elaine. I sometimes think that we are losing bits and pieces of ourselves as we become so totally immersed in caregiving. But maybe it is up to us not to allow that to happen. If you figure out how to do that please share...Have a super day

      Delete
  10. Such a great story, Paula. I love hearing how others selected, and re-selected, and evolved in their blog names.

    Just want you to know....I have trouble - well literally cannot - comment on your blog from my I-Pad. I think it's a combo of IPad capacity and WordPress/Blogger incompatibilities. Your posts scroll through my Reader (thank goodness), but I cannot comment unless I'm on my fullblown computer. Injuries keep that from being my most comfortable place to be, so I rarely use it. If I don't comment, it's not because I haven't read and enjoyed and learned; it's only because I didn't get to the "right" computer that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm I wonder why that is? Thanks for letting me know though. It is good to know you are reading.

      Delete
  11. I had all kinds of ideas of what I was going to write about at the beginning and the topics were sporatic so I went with Random Thoughts From A Random Guy. I've seen all kinds of other blogs that say Random Thoughts but never with the random guy part.

    Can't say I blame you for changing it with all the other stuff out there with the same name. I've never researched my title to know if there is something else but I know I haven't ran across anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always liked the name of your blog Jeff!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!