Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Frustration....Maybe!

Today is the day for One Word Wednesday where my fellow blogger and caregiver Lisa (who is also my friend) hosts a weekly challenge for caregivers (and anyone else who wants to participate). She posts a word and we write our feelings about it. Now get on over there and write about your feelings. It is really good for you. Really!

Frustration

I would love to meet anyone in the care-giving world who hasn't experienced a little frustration. If there is someone then I am going to tell you they are either a saint or a big, fat liar. There, now you have my feelings on that. No, really, how can you be a caregiver and not get frustrated. If you have it figured out, please, please share your secrets with me. I experience a bit of frustration every single day of my life. Don't you?

Even when I was a caregiver at the hospital or the nursing home I would get frustrated. Mostly with administration and other staff members. Rarely would it be at a patient or an elder. You know why that is? Because I was only spending 8 hours with them and then going home. The care-giving I am providing right now is going on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year and I have been doing this for almost 3 years. So frustration......yep. Plenty of it.

My frustration this week has been mostly all about Hospice. Not the entire organization. Not our own personal Hospice nurse. But the nurse practitioner who HAS to pay us a visit every 60 days to re-certify Richard for Medicare to continue to pay for our Hospice care. Now as you can see I said that it HAS to be done every 60 days or we lose certification. And that means starting all over again. This particular nurse practioner (we are going to call her RHB, don't ask me what it stands for!)has been a bit of a pain from the very beginning. She always calls me us and breathlessly informs me that the visit is due. Right now. Today. And I have no choice. I just don't work that way. I am a very scheduled person. I like to know yesterday what is going to happen today. I like to know last week what this weeks schedule is like. That's just how I roll. And I am the customer here, aren't I? I don't like it one dang bit when some little lady (and I use that term loosely)calls me up, always in a big hurry, and tells me the visit has to take place TODAY! I mean she has had 60 days to figure out when the next visit takes place. Last night when she came and I ventured out to ask her to please give me more notice, her response to me was...."I have a full time job and I will fit you in when I can fit you in." Yep, there is plenty of frustration when it comes to stuff like that

Go visit My Little Peanut and link up.

20 comments:

  1. How frustrating indeed, Paula! I have such high hopes for Hospice in the future. I even went through training once and then backed out due to other commitments, but came away with lots of respect for what they do. It sounds as if it's more a problem with your nurse than the organization, Don't give up hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't think it is a Hospice problem. I think it is a problem with this particular employee. I am just hoping that they take care of her. I shudder to think how she treats little old ladies who aren't strong willed and outspoken the way that I am.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry about this. She does not sound like a good fit for Hospice. Maybe you will have an opportunity to let someone know about your dissatisfaction. I think you should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be happening in just a few moments....we'll see what happens

      Delete
  3. We have the same issue with home health and the frantic last-minute mandatory visit. I've tried scheduling the follow-up visit at the current visit...she just calls and says she HAS to change it to convenience her. (I may be wrong, but I'm going to assume I know what the B stands for in RHB!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, my friend, you wouldn't be wrong!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh that's incredibly frustrating! I don't like that kind of stuff either. But you don't want to lose your benefits...I've heard a lot of stories like this one. It's sad because you don't need the added stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reassured that I won't lose our benefits. Richard is on Medicare and Hospice is a benefit of Medicare.

      Delete
  5. I believe it takes a really strong person to do what you do and being frustrated would be part of the job. Its too hard for me and I commend you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, am schedule-oriented. All my life, much to the chagrin of some family members.
    So boy, when that RHB talked about 'fitting you in' as she liked, I'd have been struggling not to slap her to the curb.

    PS - I enjoyed seeing your Tucker's photo. Cute story ... cute, cute little fella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra...I am in the process of taking care of the RHB!

      Delete
  7. That would be frustrating. You would think she, working full time, would want a bit more order and would schedule the visit in advance, especially since she knows it has to be every 60 days. I can't remember if I left you this blog link before http://plantcityladyandfriends.blogspot.com/ but she is a care giver for her husband with Alzheimer's and she just enrolled him in hospice. She might like the support of someone who is dealing with hospice, if you had the time to check out another blog. thanks!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. I will go over and take a look soon

      Delete
  8. We all know what the b stands for and I am guessing she has red hair LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Wendy you made me laugh out loud. See how the frustration melts away when you have something to laugh about...Thanks friend

      Delete
  9. Frustration seems like a fairly mild word for what I would experience in your situation. With either watching your beloved spouse lose so much of himself or with RHB. And boy haven't we all had one of those power maniacs at an inopportune time in our lives. She has a fulltime job ??? What the hell does she think YOU have?!?

    From all I've heard, Hospice is an outstanding organization, but the bureaucracy of governmental agencies is ludicrous. I can only liken your frustration to what so many of our vets are experiencing with the awful glacial behemoth that is the Veterans Administration. You all deserve better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true...overall though I don't know where I would be without Hospice!

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry she's such a b***h! She needs to put herself in your shoes!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!