Wednesday, May 28, 2014

All in the Family

Papa, Darian, Paige and Harley
Memorial Day Weekend 2014
Today is the 28th day of the Blog Every Day in May challenge that is being hosted by Sunday at Love Happy Daily. I have tried my best to keep up but I have missed some days. I like doing challenges like these because they give me the prompt and then I always have something to say. I like to talk. I like to write. I like to tell 'the story.'
Today's prompt is:

Family.  What do you love?  Best traits? What crazy genetics do you have in common?  Fave photo?



I come from a family of 5 kids. My mom raised us, after my father committed suicide when I was 7 years old. Then right after I turned 10 she remarried. In fact today would have been her and my step-father's 53 wedding anniversary. We are a strong-willed family. There is always someone that is not talking to someone else. It is really too bad that now that we are all in our 60's we can't just accept each other for the way that we are and deal with it. My father was an alcoholic and there is a very strong addiction gene in our blood line. That too is very sad.  But it is what it is.

I went on to have my own family. Married at the age of 18. Gave birth to my first son at age 20. Had my second son at age 24 and became divorced at age 27. Soon after I met and became partners with my current husband. We have been together now for more than 30 years. 

And now my current family consists of my husband and two teenage grandchildren, Harley, 14, and Darian, 16. We also have Paige, 14, who is here every weekend to offer her love and help. My husband is ill with end-stage Parkinson's disease and we take care of him. My grandchildren are the best helpers that a granny could ever ask for. They never, ever complain about the help that is needed when it comes to taking care of Papa. (They are normal kids and do complain about chores, otherwise.)They are all very caring and kind children. They love us unconditionally.  I have been blessed to have the best family a woman could ever ask for.....three times over.


22 comments:

  1. This was neat to read about your family of birth, your own created family, your new family with your present hubby, and your current family with the grandchildren included. It is interesting how families sometimes have trouble getting along with each other; you would think there would be no problems since everyone should love each other. I know my mom and one of my aunts had a falling out for a few years, years ago. Then at my grandmother's funeral when they saw each other, they practically ran to each other and hugged, made up, and became the best of friends again, wondering why they had let so much time go by not speaking with each other.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom and sister NEVER made up before she died. My mom had such dementia that she didn't even know why they weren't speaking. My sister could just never let go of it..very sad

      Delete
  2. That's because they have the best Granny!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this photo, Paula .... in its sheer simplicity, everyone looks really happy.
    Ya, Darian, Harley and Paige sound pretty exceptional. Maybe their lives aren't exactly 90210 material (OK, I'm waaaaay behind the times) .... but I'll bet they turn out more successful and compassionate adults and spouses because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...IT WAS 90210 when I was raising my boys. I hope that it does help them later in their lives

      Delete
  4. Hi Paula .. lovely to see the family photo and the kids look quite delightful .. and you made a good choice 2nd time around .. but the first wasn't that bad either ... considering the amazing grandkids around ..

    Fantastic they're helping you so much .. it's really encouraging to see - and is great kudos to you and the family .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Hilary And I often say that...I can't regret my first husband (although he was really bad) because he gave me the joy that I have today is these special g-kids

      Delete
  5. Wonderful picture. One to cherish for sure. Blessings ... All 4 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a history. There was a lot of alcohol abuse on mom and daddy's side of the family. It made them both very wary of addiction, so I never had to experience any of that....and I'm so thankful. I love your picture. You grands are so beautiful (and handsome). They sound like great kids. No surprise there - they have an awesome granny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it is all over my family as well...

      Delete
  7. I loved your post. It made me wish that I had taken more time with this prompt. We have that addiction gene in our family from my Dad's side and from my Mom's side comes depression and mental illness. I feel blessed that neither of those genetic components has affected me nor my child. The photo is great. They all look so happy! I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Fancy. I don't believe that addiction has to be a genetic thing. I think there is a gene but I still believe it is a choice. And you just have to chose not to become an alcoholic or a drug addict. Maybe that is a simple way to look at it but that is how I do

      Delete
  8. Your grandkids sound pretty awesome and know what the meaning of family is. That reflects on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great kids. They spent all but the last 5 years of their lives being tossed around and now with stability in their lives they have really learned to appreciate family.

      Delete
  9. excellent post Paula and beautiful photo as well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa B. I hope you are a bit better today!

      Delete
  10. What a great family you have! Your happiness and the way you regard your family are just testaments to the fact that we are not prisoners of the past. We choose what we want in life and we can always choose happiness, just like you did. Anyway, I love the picture of the family. I really enjoyed reading your post. Thank you so much for sharing!

    Dan Gibson @ Sweeney Therapy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Dan. I don't always feel that I have chosen happiness. But I WANT happiness that is for sure.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!