Friday, March 21, 2014

The Epic Tale of a Caregiver From A to Z

Soon I will be starting the A to Z blogging Challenge. This challenge started out as the brainchild of Arlee Bird who blogs at Tossing It Out. The premise behind this challenge is to blog everyday in April, except for Sundays, which leaves 26 days. For each of those days your blogging prompt is the letters of the alphabet. For example, April 1 is A...like apples. April 2, will be the letter B...like boys and so on. Until the last day of April when you have reached the letter Z and blogged for 26 straight days. You are allowed to use a theme or you can just blog random. For even more information you can click on over to the A To Z Blog.




I have chosen a theme, just like I did last year, when my theme was places that we have visited. Last year in March, when I decided that I was going on this journey, known as the A to Z Challenge, I was also beginning the journey of being sole caregiver (along with a nurse from Hospice) for my husband. He has end-stage Parkinson's disease. It has been a very challenging year I have learned a lot. I have cried a lot. I have started the grieving process.

This year my theme is going to revolve around my care-giving journey. I am going to try my hand at a different style of writing. Just the thoughts as they flow out of me. A type more like a sonnet or epic style poetry. I have a story to tell. A story about our days. I want to tell it from A To Z. My theme is going to take us on a Care-givers Journey. I hope that you will join me.


I am linking up here with others who are revealing their themes today.

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit. I don't know if 'amazing' is a good word to use when it comes to the journey I am on. But I promise you that it will be REAL.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to your A to Z blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Wendy. You should jump in and join us. This will be my second year

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your topic and my heart goes out to you. I have been caregiving for my parents this past year, and my blog has been my personal escape from all that, so I applaud you for immersing yourself in the journey. I will read your posts with interest. Take care and be well. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you join my journey josna!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Kwiz. I have most of my post prepared

      Delete
  5. What can I say? Just that I'm keenly interested ... and more than a bit envious of your commitment to this April challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll come back and read me. Or better yet, join in!

      Delete
  6. This will be a very interesting theme, Paula, to read as you share it. I'll be curious what letters you use and how you write your story. I am sure down the road it could immensely help other care givers too. Care giving is a very difficult thing to do and very challenging as you know. I haven't been a care giver for a spouse or parent but for my daughter with a lot of health issues and it is very stressful and can wear one down. I hope others will come to know your journey as you share it with us over the month of April.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will help me to write the posts. I am trying a different style of writing. It is not poetry but poetry-like. Does that make sense? Care-giving for anyone is hard if you are the one doing it. It is much harder than I thought it would be when I accepted the challenge. But for us it is the ONLY way.

      Delete
  7. Hi Paula .. so sorry about your husband - I have relatives who have Parkinsons, as well as see people in the Nursing Centre where both my mother and my uncle were ... so your A-Z postings will be sad, but interesting and I hope in places uplifting to read ... with thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to find the up-lifting parts as well. Welcome to my blog Hilary

      Delete
  8. I have a family member who has Parkinsons. I'll be following your story.

    Popped by from the Great and Powerful Theme Reveal - give me a visit some time

    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2014/03/hues-of-oz-and-great-and-powerful-theme.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula, this may be a difficult a-z theme to follow, but my heart goes out to you.... I'll be back. I lost a grandma to parkinson's and now a dear friend has it. I hope your posts bring healing and even encouragement....as writing always does for me. Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will come back. It is really not going to be a theme ABOUT Parkinson's but more about how it affects me, the caregiver.

      Delete
  10. I am so very sorry to hear about your husband. I've been caregiver to my husband for the last 15 years. It has been a battle, a struggle, a rollercoaster of emotions. I can empathize with you, although we are not in the same situation. After 15 years of feeling so alone, I had a breakdown and decided I needed help. I started my blog where I am now admitting to the feelings I have. I have found like people who totally get the situation. It is making things better for me. I hope you can take the time out and read my Caring for my Veteran blog in the midst of the A to Z challenge. Maybe we can help each other. :)
    Good luck.
    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    My A to Z Challenge
    Caring for My Veteran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie I will be heading over to look at your blog. Yes, the frustrations are the same regardless of what the disease process is

      Delete
  11. Both your topic and your chosen style of writing sounds really interesting, and I'm looking forward to it 'cause I feel like it's coming from your heart. In my opinion, the only way to art is through honesty, no matter how tough it is. And I'm sure it'll be tough for you.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much MusicFan. It actually helps make my life less tough when I write about it

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment