Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Teen Age Annoyances

As many of you know I am a caregiver. Not only am I giving full-time, around the clock, care to an aging husband who is suffering from post-stroke and end-stage Parkinson's, but we have two teenage grand kids who live with us. There are Harley, age 14, and Darian, age 16. I love these kids with all my heart. I love all of my grand kids. There is one more biological grandchild and 6 more of the  
"adopted" variety. (That only means they don't share our blood but they are ours, never the less.) Since becoming a full time 'grand' mamma to these two I am getting all the good, the bad, and the UGLY parts of grand kids. Much of what is never seen by grandparents. Or else it is ignored. Because we usually just want to spoil them rotten and send them back home. With all the joys that come along with raising these two wonderful kids, there are some little things are just totally annoy the heck out of me. And since I think so many bloggers don't really want you to see the bad and the ugly that goes on in their homes, I am going to talk today, on List It Tuesday, about these little annoyances.

  1.  The use of the word "whatever". When my granddaughter is losing out on an argument (usually with me) this is her way of ending it. By saying "Whatever!" And this is usually accompanied by:
  2. The eye roll! I am sure you have all seen the eye roll. Both of my grand kids have this one mastered.
  3. Using the words: "it's not fair". I hear this at least once a day. Usually from the girl. She just doesn't get that she is not yet in the adult world and cannot do EVERYTHING that she wants to do. Or watch every program on TV that she wants to watch. Or read every book that she wants to watch. And saying, "but all my friends are doing it, watching it, or reading it" usually doesn't work with me. My normal response is "I am not the parent of all of your friends."
  4. Thinking just because one of them gets to do something that the other one should get the same privilege. This is BIG at our house right now. I usually respond to this with "you don't treat unequals equally. There is a difference between apples and oranges. Another hard on for the girl. She thinks if the boy gets to date, then she can. If the boy gets to stay up late, then she can. The 'he is older and a boy' is lost on her.
  5. The drama (especially with the teenage girls) It seems like I am picking on the girls. But I already raised two boys and there wasn't nearly the drama that I have found in five years of raising a girl. My grandson often says, "if we boys disagree or have an argument, we might just punch each other (not in the literal sense) and tomorrow we are back to being best friends. But not those girls, they will talk about the infraction for the rest of their lives!!!
  6. The smelliness! Now this one fits the boy the most. There just seems to be that 'dirty-boy' smell that follows him around. And I constantly remind him to use his deodorant. Will that come naturally someday??
  7. The 'know-it-all-ness'. Oh how I can't wait for them to some day have teens of their own and suffer through this one.
  8. How they think the world revolves around them. If there is a problem to be solved or an issue to be dealt with, they think you should drop everything and help them with it. Not matter what!
  9. Too Loud or too mumbled! My granddaughter is loud. And silly. And noisy. And loves to sing. My grandson talks very softly and mumbles and I am always asking him to repeat what he has said. 
  10. How they think money grows on trees. And EVERYONE else owns.....whatever the latest thing they are begging for. At our house we are learning that these things cost money. And how long it takes to save for it. I am always amazed at how much they really didn't want it in the first place if they have to pay for it.
Help me out here. I am surely not the only one who notices these things about teenagers. What would you add to this list? Come over to Many Little Blessings and link up with List It Tuesday.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like typical teenagers....Hang in there.....you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I am sure they are typical teenagers. Just sharing my annoyances. Thanks for your encouraging words

      Delete
  2. Ha ha ha. Yup. This sounds like the life with teenagers. I'm not that far removed from being one myself. "Whatever" is definitely the way to end a losing argument!

    And I have to say good for you for holding your ground and not spoiling those grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they are spoiled. I just can't send them home. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Boy, do I know the feeling! My youngest is 20 now and seems to have matured in the past year or two. I must be mad but I miss the noise and clutter that his older brother and he used to make!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you are not mad. When my boys left home it was so quiet and so sad. But now I have these two back. I am sure the day will come when I miss them as well. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Oh, boy, could I add to this list.... which is pretty stinking comprehensive to begin with, Paula. :) Good job. I'd just add one that really is a manifestation of your #8: Inability to put things on the family calendar, yet expecting to go to the activity anyways. I have four kids- 2 teens and 2 preteens... my life is an intricate dance of taxi driving schedules, and it drives me beserk when the oldest just says "oh, yeah, I have this thing". I would love to just let him have natural consequences, but often there are additional issues that come up for ME if he doesn't attend said event.
    Julie @ Julie 2 Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am finding out. Letting them have the consequence is so hard to do. We must get stronger Julie.

      Delete
  5. That was a good list to read, you "nailed" teens pretty good with their behavior. I'd only add how they like to distance themselves from you when they are out in public with you; they walk 5 feet behind you or 5 feet in front of you and by golly, don't try to talk to them when you are out and about :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I forgot that one Betty. And I like to 'embarrass' them in public too! shame on me

      Delete
  6. Thanks for making me grateful that I just have a cat. Otherwise, I might be prison for one or more crimes of violence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I often wonder what keeps me out of prison

      Delete
  7. You've described my days. The boy funk is hormonal and he will grow out of it. It's particularly bad between ages 13-15, I have found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 16 is pretty bad at times too. Especially if he thinks a spritz of AXE will take the place of a shower

      Delete
  8. Some of these describe my nearly 6 year old granddaughter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad I only have one to go through this with. But, she is of the female variety so things tend to get over exaggerated and blown out of proportion. Elexis doesn't use 'whatever', she will argue intellectually with facts and emotion in one. I am usually the one that says 'whatever'. The eye roll on the the other hand...I tell her all the time that unless she wants me to knock those eyes out of her head, she better keep them where they are supposed to be (which is usually when I get what I call the 'dead eye' look). Rolling eyes drives me crazy. I am with you on the "...but my friend's get to do this" which I usually respond with "I am not your friend, I am your parent. My number one job is to keep you safe. I am not their parent; and if I was, they wouldn't be doing it either." For the most part she agrees with me that her friends sometimes do/watch/read things they shouldn't be at this age. I think that she secretly likes that I say no, so she has an easy out. I know this teenage thing is going to get harder. Sometimes it is hard for me to sit on the sidelines and work out problems by herself, but it's life lessons she needs to learn. Another behavior I find irksome is the "I didn't hear you". "Yes, you did. I am sitting 3 feet away from you and I don't mumble...pay attention".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are a challenge! Harley says I didn't hear you or I forgot

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment