Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring

I have never made it a secret that winter is not my favorite season. And I am always so happy to know that it is ending. Spring is a time of the year that offers so much HOPE! Especially after such a long, cold winter. I like seeing the tulips and the hyacinths peeking out of the dirt. And today I even discovered there were three of the 'naked ladies' out. Well, the clumps of leaves are there. Now, if I just avoid mowing over them. I love to see how the trees begin to bud. We are seeing a bigger deluge of birds in the backyard. I lowered the window in the dining room today (still a bit cool for that) just so we could hear all the chirping and tweeting. I have noticed the robins are hopping around, poking their beaks into the ground, on the search for those first tasty spring worms. Today a pair of beautiful grey turtle doves came to visit. And the cardinals stand out so brightly against the still bare branches of the buck-thorn bushes that are at the back of our property line. These bushes keep hundreds of birds protected from the wild life since they have long spikes poking out. I don't even prune them any longer since they are so 'sticky.'
There is the smell of 'clean air.' Don't you love it when you can open all of your windows and fill your house with all of this spring freshness? Even when it will mean added work. Mowing and digging and pruning and trimming and all of those wonderful things that can be done outside.
I am holding my breath and hoping there will not be anymore winter surprises for us. Happy First Day of Spring! 


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Happy Spring Wendy. We had a beautiful day here in Kansas. It got up to 71*. But it is going to be short lived because Sunday is only supposed to be 40*

      Delete
  2. I love how you described spring in your part of the country! I hope it is a wonderful time of lots of beautiful plants growing!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can get out there and do some yard work this summer He used to love being outdoors. Now, not so much!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it crazy how quickly the seasons turn? Here in CO, we went from brown dirt one day to green stuff all over the place the next. Of course, we still have a good month of possible snow, but it's refreshing to see vibrant color!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing. Where are you in Colorado Julie?

      Delete
  4. I am equally glad to see Spring this year. Winter was horrible. But, slog with spring comes spring tornado threats...sigh...it's never ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are talking about thunderstorms for us later today

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment