Sunday, March 23, 2014

March Madness Ended...For us!

We are mostly a basketball loving family here. Well, my grandson doesn't really like it. He doesn't like to play and he's not that 'into' watching it. My husband and my son like football lots better, but do watch our state teams when they are playing. This year we had the good fortune to have THREE colleges in the NCAA Tournament representing Kansas. 


  • Kansas State represents Division One and is in the Big 12 Conference. It is also the college my husband attended before he was drafted many, many years ago. Granddaughter Harley loves Kansas State and the color purple. Unfortunately K-State fell to Kentucky (56-49) Friday night. We had a bit of a cry-fest but went on to watch the next game.
  • Kansas University is also Division One in the Big 12 Conference. It is known to have one of the oldest and most successful
    programs in the history of college basketball. KU is where my youngest son graduated from in 2000, so of course his daughter is a huge KU fan. And we were happy to watch them beat East Kentucky on Friday night (80-69).
  • Wichita State University is only about 50 miles from us. It is in the town where my son lives. Our 'adopted' daughter attended that University . Wichita State is also a Division one school but is in the Missouri
    Valley Conference. They have the honor of being the first EVER team to finish their regular season with a 31-0 record. On Friday night with a win against Cal-Poly (64-37) they took their fame one step further by becoming the first team EVER in NCAA history to post a 35-0 record.
So we anxiously awaited this afternoon to watch the two Kansas teams that were left in the tournament. We were ALL cheering on both of our Kansas teams. Sadly it wasn't to be a Kansas team this year. KU lost to Stanford 60-57 and The Wichita Shockers lost in a very hard fought game to Kentucky (78-76). We are proud of all three Kansas teams. Well done guys!!!


12 comments:

  1. Job well done indeed for all the teams! I think San Diego State University is still in the tournament, so our March madness hasn't quite died yet; hoping they will continue to advance in the games ahead.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well here is how into basketball we are in this household. I didn't even realize it was March Madness LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I wouldn't be either, but Richard watches. And it is good for him to follow along

      Delete
  3. I was wondering if you guys weren't fans! I don't think I've ever watched an entire b/b game on purpose (ha!), but I envy those kids' passion - vs. the professional athletes who command these insane salaries. I think anyone who even makes it to the finals should feel really proud of himself!

    Myra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are only college basketball fans. Well, to be honest that is me. My husband watches all college basketball. He doesn't care who is playing. But he doesn't like the pros either: football or basketball. Except the Kansas City Chiefs

      Delete
  4. Wichita State broke our hearts. My husband is a Shocker fan from childhood and as soon as I saw the WeeShock (or however you spell it), I was hooked! Great game though. My Buckeyes exited earlier and in the same last second painful fashion...sigh....But I'll keep watching. We lived in Lexington, so I will cheer on the Wildcats and any big 10 team that isn't Michigan! (you can take the girl out of Ohio, but you can't take the Buckeye out of the girl!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are cheering for Kentucky Wild Cats too! If they can beat our Shockers then they are gooooooood! Did your husband come from Kansas??

      Delete
  5. I find it hard to watch basketball. I am more of a football/baseball fan myself. I am with Harley though. I like purple and panthers so I would probably pick them too. I'm not sure if OU/OSU were in the tournament this year or how far they went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple is out color! My living room is purple and green

      Delete
    2. Yay! Mine pretty much is too. We have green couches and I pretty much have purple all over my house.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!