Tuesday, March 25, 2014

For The Birds

We feed birds in our backyard year round. But at this time of the year we will really start to see them flocking to our feeders. Both Richard and I have enjoyed many hours sitting at the dining room table watching who comes to dine in our yard. So Far This year I have seen:

1. A Northern flicker-I wasn't sure what this was until I looked it up. Looks much like a woodpecker. It does come from the woodpecker family. The one that visited our suet feeder had a pretty white head but otherwise looked just like this one.


2. Plenty of crows. These are the ones that bug me. But they need to eat too, I guess. They can empty a feeder in no time at all. And aren't really that fun to watch.


3. A Robin....these don't usually eat at the feeders because they like worms. But we have seen them out there hopping around and pecking in the ground to get the first bites of those tender, fresh spring worms.


4. I love the cardinals. We have seen both the females and the males. The males are such a bright red and without many leaves on the bushes yet they really stand out.



5. The blue jays are a nuisance bird as well. But we have plenty of them and we have come to love their visits as well.



6. Lots of finches in our yard....yellow, blue, brown






7. And we have a few variety of woodpeckers. The big red-headed ones and the smaller 'downy' peckers. They love the suet best.





8. We have a couple of variety of doves and so far this year I have spotted both the mourning doves and the Eurasian doves in our backyard.





9. We have a flock (and I think the whole dang flock comes too) of starlings. They are kind of like the crows. But they won't stay all summer so soon there will be feed for the other birds. They are so hungry.




10. Overhead most days I can spot a few ducks flying. We live close to several ponds and lakes so they are always flying over our house. Haven't ever had any stop by to dine.




11. We do have a huge flock of wild turkeys. And I have to admit they are our favorites. Right now the males are flirting and gathering their hens so we often see them with their tails all fluffed out and their heads bright blue. Quite a site to see. 



I am linking up with Many Little Blessings List It Tuesday. Won't you join us? (I'll have to wait until she puts up the link to link up...but I will be there.



14 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for her link up too LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life gets in the way of all of us at sometime, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. When my father retired, I got him binoculars and the Northeastern Birdwatchers book. Hours of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! I have several books, but with the internet I can find anything

      Delete
  3. How I envy your ability to experience ALL the seasons, Paula! But don't the squirrels try and steal their booty?
    Every time I glimpse a cardinal -- on TV or print it makes me remember how my mother loved them. And the robins always make me think of home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the squirrels try to steal everything. I feed them too!!!

      Delete
  4. You have a nice assortment of birds that come to feed. I always enjoyed when we had feeders to watch the birds eat. Now we don't bother since Koda would chase them away :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have any pets at our house (except the fish in the aquarium) so watching birds is our hobby

      Delete
  5. Hi Paula .. great seeing all those amazing photos of the birds ... fascinating to watch and learn more. I did some bird watching in South Africa and here I try and remember our British birds ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary. I would love to hear more about your British birds. Thanks for visiting me.

      Delete
  6. It gives me anxiety just thinking about all those birds. We have a couple cardinals and a few finches that hang out, but we don't feed them. Crows are so very annoying. That Northern flicker is beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! I forgot about your thing about birds. But they are so beautiful. And the turkeys mating season has been fun to watch. We are such 'window peekers' here

      Delete
    2. It's okay. We went and saw Divergent last week and one of the main girl's fears was birds. I had to close my eyes and plug my ears until my daughter said it okay. I do like birds behind glass or walls (like the zoo).

      Delete
    3. I think I have told you before that mine is mice!!!!!!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!