Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday and Sacrifice

This is the first year the kid's youth group at church really went all out to encourage the kids (teens) to participate and to think about Lent and what they would be willing to sacrifice for 40 days. Last year, Harley turned 13 on February 4 and was finally old enough to have a Facebook account. She had been so anxious because so many of her friends already had them (prior to turning 13) and her granny made her wait. I am a terrible 'rule-follower.' But when Lent began on February 13 last year she stood up and said she was giving up Facebook. I was so proud of her. She didn't once even peek to see what was going on. And she made it the entire 40 days.

This year Harley and Darian both gave up ALL soda pop for Lent. They said that each time they see their friends or family drinking a pop they will think about the sacrifice Jesus made for them. But Darian took it a step further this year. He gave up his BED! For the next 40 days he is sleeping on the floor. I fully believe in him and will cheer him on as he makes a sacrifice that so many of us wouldn't dare. Heck, I can't even get down on the floor. And when I see him down there on the floor I will be reminded of how lucky and blessed we are. So many people in this world do not even own a bed.

I am blessed to have such good kiddos!

14 comments:

  1. Neat that they put some effort into thinking what they would give up for Lent and made it a personal sacrifice. Good for Darian; I'm not sure I could last sleeping on the floor for 40 days!

    I know my niece gave up meat last year for Lent; not sure what she and her sister are giving up this year.

    Good too that your grand kids are involved in a youth group!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am positive that I wouldn't last ONE night on the floor. But they are kids. And I am proud of them. I think giving up meat for 40 days would be hard too.

      Delete
  2. They are good kids....must be connected to good parenting....the proof is in the pudding. A pat on the back to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray this is true. But then I raised their dad as well so I will reserve giving me too much credit and give them over to God. He will take care of them

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing - I would sleep on the floor before I would/could give up Coke Zero for 40 days...my family would certainly give me up I'd be such a bear! Sounds like great kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good kids. I can't do either of those things but mine is Pepsi. I only drink 2-3 month but when I want it, I want it!

      Delete
  4. Sounds great a great couple of kids. And well done you for making the kids wait until they're actually old enough to make the fb account. My sister is doing the same for her children.
    While I am not particularly religious, my wife is, and I give up something for lent to support her and one of my best friends. Last year I successfully gave up chocolate bars. This year I am giving up chocolate biscuits.
    Not sure I could give up soda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not giving up anything this year. I have a full plate here and feel I have already given up a lot. So I will support them in their religious quest. I wish more parents would make the kids follow the rules. It would make all parents jobs easier.

      Delete
  5. I got a little choked up reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Kwiz!

      Delete
  6. That is fantastic! I am very proud of them as well. I wish Elexis' youth group encouraged them to do the same. Lent snuck up on me this year because of the circumstances. Maybe I will give something up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I have already given up too much this year. I just couldn't. And I know that God understands!

      Delete
    2. I never gave anything up. I will be forgiven though. And yes, God does understand.

      Delete
    3. Darian made it twenty days on the floor before he just couldn't do it anymore. They are both still not drinking pop

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!