Friday, February 7, 2014

True Love

TRUE LOVE ..  

I saw this on Facebook today. It reminds me so much of my days working at the nursing home. And it reminds me why I feel so privileged to be loved exactly this way.






It was approximately 8.30 a.m. on a busy morning when an elderly gentleman in his eighties arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He stated that he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9.00 a.m.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat. I knew it would take more than an hour before someone would to able to attend to him. I saw
 him check his watch anxi...ously for the time and decided to evaluate his wound since I was not busy with another patient.

On examination, the wound was well healed. Hence, I talked to one of the doctors to get the supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

We began to engage in a conversation while I was taking care of his wound. I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment later as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no and said that he needed to go to the nursing home to have breakfast with his wife.

I inquired about her health. He told me that she had been in the nursing home for a while as she was a victim of Alzheimer's disease. I probed further and asked if she would be upset if he was slightly late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was and she had not been able to recognize him since five years ago.
I asked him in surprise, "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?"
He smiled as he patted my hand and said, "She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is."

I had to hold back my tears as he left.
I had goose bumps on my arm, and I thought, "That is the kind of love I want in my life."

True love is neither physical nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.

12 comments:

  1. That Paula, is exactly what I say to my one brother when he doesn't call or come to see Mom because "she doesn't know who I am anyways". I always say "But you know who she is, she is still your mother". But he still doesn't get it.... Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very sad disease, isn't it? I saw many families that no longer came to see their loved one in the nursing home for this very reason. I cannot begin to imagine how hard it would be for them not to know who I was. With Richard's type of dementia he, at least, knows all of us! For that I am thankful

      Delete
  2. Sad, yet beautiful and happy in what it is. Reminds me of one of my uncles who is taking care of his wife in a similar circumstance. He'll probably have to put her in a care facility soon, but he's been resisting it.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad but I admire that man who goes because he remembers her. That is true love!!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it. It did bring tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a professor at university who visited his mother on a regular basis (they lived miles apart), for that very reason. Even though she no longer knew him nor remembered he had visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I would continue to visit. Just on the off-chance that day he might remember me! Alzheimer's is a horrible disease

      Delete
  5. I love this. Shows what true love and commitment is really about. My grandpa died with alzheimer's disease and my grandma went up there every day. He didn't remember who she was either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be really hard to keep going when they don't even know you. But I would feel the same and keep going because I know him

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!