Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Day begins....

Just before the sun comes up
My eyes open.
The house is quiet.
No one is yet awake.
It's my favorite part of the day.
Of my life.
The stirrings start. 
I hear a door.
I hear the flush.
Someone is up.
The light goes on in the kitchen.
The day has begun.
I lay quietly and I listen to the sounds.
The oxygen concentrator.
The water flowing.
A spoon against a bowl.
The rustle of the newspaper.
Breathing.
A small cough.
A big cough.
A sigh. (that's me)
I lie quietly and I wait.
One kisses me good-bye.
Another door opens.
Another flush.
More stirring.
More sighing.
Another kiss good-bye.
I wait quietly.
I know it will come.
I hear him beginning to move.
I'm waiting.
He says quietly...
"honey, you awake?"
The day has begun.
What will it bring?


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! Trying to get my feel for my A To Z Challenge!

      Delete
  2. This is a very compelling piece. I hope the answer to the final line was that your day brought you peace in the portion you needed to get through the day and something good to look back on at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still working on finding the peace here. Thanks for your words

      Delete
  3. That is awesome! Beautifully written, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!