Friday, December 20, 2013

Will I Ever Stop Searching for That Norman Rockwell Christmas?

In December of 2011 I wrote a post about searching for my Norman Rockwell Christmas. You can go read it here if you want.

We won't ever fit into that perfect little world where the tree is all decked out with the finest of ornaments. There will never be piles and piles of presents all beautifully wrapped in the finest of paper with big sparkling bows under our tree. I don't like wrapping presents. And the paper only gets wadded up and thrown away. And it doesn't really come cheap. 

We won't eat Christmas dinner at a table that is so wonderfully set with the finest of dishes. I have Christmas dishes. I am sure I will pull them out and put them on the table. But I only paid $29.99 for the whole set. And we just use our everyday flatware and whatever glasses are in the cabinet. Or just drink soda from the can. Whatever! No one is going to photograph our table and put us in the pages of any fancy-schmancy decorating magazine.

I follow many blogs that show us beautiful homes that are worthy of these magazines. And I will admit that I dream of my home looking that way. But I also know that it is not realistic. It is only bits and pieces of a corner of the room that has been dressed just for the picture. The rest of the house is surely messier than mine is right now. I can't imagine the stress of having a full camera crew in my house for anything at all. And don't forget about Photoshop. You can make anything look awesome with Photoshop.




So let's not forget what the season is all about. It isn't about decorations or trees. It isn't about presents or even the food. It is about loving one another. About celebrating the birth of Jesus, our Savior. I have to remind myself every year. I might as well remind you too!    

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are welcome. We, as a society, seem to forget sometimes don't we? I am so thankful for the things that I have and the people that I have in my life and for my Savior, Jesus Christ, who died for ME! That makes me feel so small compared to all my problems

      Delete
  2. I used to knock myself out trying to get cards done and fudge made and packages shipped. Then I realized I wasn't enjoying it (for a variety of reasons, one of which was my struggle with a flare up of OCD) and stopped the things that didn't bring me joy. I enjoy the holidays much more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Kwiz.....we need to quit trying to please EVERYONE else and just please ourselves

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!