Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Best Gift

Following along with Holidailies makes blogging easy in December. The writing prompts make me think seriously hard each morning because sometimes there is more than one answer and I have to just pick. Today's prompt is:

What is the best gift you have ever received?


Gosh, this is so hard. Because I have received so many 'best' gifts over the years. I love all the little hand prints given to me by my boys and my grandchildren. There is a small green, clay dinosaur sitting on my bedside table. And a large, black bowl crafted by my oldest when he was in middle school. One year for my 40th birthday I received a tiny gold necklace with the initials RN from my youngest son. It wasn't the necklace that was so special (although it is) but the fact that he bought it with his very own money and shopped all by himself. He had just turned 16 and had his first job. I treasure that necklace to this very day. Then a few years back he bought me a Nook Color and I love, love, love it. I pick it up and use it every single day. I don't want to upgrade. And I don't use it as a tablet, for the most part, but as an e-reader which is what it is designed for. And last year I got a brand new HE washer and dryer. 

So it is hard to pick a favorite because they are all special to me for a different reason.

The best gifts of all are the ones that come from the heart and don't cost a single thing. Like an extra special hug from a pair of chubby little arms (or big muscular, hairy arms). A handwritten note, either in a childish scrawl or my sons' own adult handwriting. The family all together and actually liking each other would be the best gift of all. 

A woman can hope, can't she?


4 comments:

  1. I always say the world would be a wonderful place if everyone we loved, loved everyone we love. Keep hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have broken down and cried at that RN necklace, truly. Thanks for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Lisa, I did! And I tear up every time I remember it too

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!