Friday, December 6, 2013

The Best Gift I Have Given

Sometimes these questions are just so hard. I have to think and think and think. And do you know that thinking is sometimes so hard. Especially when I have caught a head cold and feel like crap and yet I still have a husband that relies on me to do everything for him. So that means that even when I want to stay in bed (on the couch) and pull the covers up over my head, I can't. He needs my help to get up, get dressed, brush his teeth and eat his breakfast. As I sat here at the computer pondering the Holidailies today, What is the best gift you have ever given?, I remember hearing his voice all those years ago as we spent our first Christmas together.

last year's tree
It was 1979. My sons were 8 and 4. I had been divorced a little over a year and being a single mom wasn't easy. Especially when the father of the boys just wasn't all that interested in staying involved in their lives. Richard had been in our lives for a bit now and he was at our tiny apartment to spend Christmas with us. We were sitting on the floor in the living room watching the kids tear into the pile of presents that he had brought over. He reached for my hand and said,
"Thank you for sharing your boys with me. This is the best Christmas I have ever had." I know, I know! Sappy and sweet. But that is how he is. Tears in his eyes (and now in mine) he found getting the opportunity to participate in raising another man's children to be the best Christmas present he ever received. And now, 34 Christmas's after that day I can say he has been the best father two little boys could have ever asked for. Ask them. They will tell you...........

16 comments:

  1. I see that God has blessed you with a wonderful husband also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he did! And that is why I have to remind myself (sometimes over and over) that Richard gave so much to us in those early years that now it is time for me to give back to him. It is so hard, but taking on a woman and 2 kids wasn't a piece of cake for him, I'm sure. And he never complained. (the way that I do)

      Delete
  2. Wow it sounds like you both gave each other a wonderful gift that year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be on to something here Nicki!

      Delete
  3. Tears to my eyes. What a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears in my eyes, as well. Sweet memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to make so many cry, but when I looked at him and remembered that long ago Christmas today, it brought tears to my eyes as well

      Delete
  5. What a terrific story -- for you and him and your lucky boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were all very lucky the day that he came into our lives. So much sadness and wrongdoing has happened but he still loves all of us. He is a wonderful man

      Delete
  6. I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face. What a wonderful gift. Lots of hugs for you Paula. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!