Sunday, December 8, 2013

Gift Giving

Holidailies is challenging my mind with these writing prompts. I guess that is what it is all about. Today's, What holiday tradition do you wish would please just go away?, might turn into a rant. There you have been warned. You can turn away now if you like.

I hate all the gift-giving of the holiday. For the most part the only reason I shop at Christmas is because it is expected of me. I buy things for my grand-kids all through the year and then at Christmas I feel the obligation to go out and get them things they really, really want so that when the school year resumes they can compare notes with their friends. And, just as bad as giving, is the receiving part. I am not a good gift receiver. I buy what I want for myself when I can afford it. I like to pick out the things that I get. I am kind of picky that way. To ooh and ahh over the ugliest sweater ever is just not in my personality. I have tried (and successfully too, I believe) to never hurt feelings for the gifts that I receive. But there are few gifts from over the years that I can even still remember. I have kept some of the things the kids made in school and they are now precious to me. And there have been one or two things that I know a lot of thought went into that still mean a lot to me. But for the most part I think others go out and buy out of obligation, just the way I do. 

This is why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. We get the family get together. We get the wonderful meal. But we don't have to do presents!! 

Now I have said it. Bah Humbug!!

13 comments:

  1. I have tried and tried to convince Frank's family to just throw in the money we would normally spend and donate it to a charity to no avail. I don't mind buying for the little kids when we have Santa come to pass out gifts but there is nothing that the older kids or adults need or want. I understand your feelings completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy.....I was really afraid I would come out sounding like Scrooge.

      Delete
  2. Lots of truth here, Paula. There are more names on my list than I'd like to admit that I consider "obligatory." Aside from my hubby, son and his family, there's only a few people I enjoy shopping for.... because there's no expectation. I hate that so many little (and not-so-little) kids EXPECT things to be dropped in their laps; then don't even offer a "thank-you."
    Glad you wrote this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I can definitely relate. And I now warn new grandparents to think ahead to how much they might want to spend if they had 15 grandkids (a nice non-round number :) ). And then start out that way. Then it might be less likely to get so overwhelming! ;) I always enjoyed the gift exchange my cousins and I had at our family reunions - the aunts and uncles drew names, each child got one gift with a limit of $2 . It was a fun end to a grand time of renewing friendships among the cousins once a year. Ah well.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye That is a good plan. Except two of mine are like my kids. Very hard to pick that round number. But I am so happy you stopped by!

      Delete
  4. I get this. I hate buying gifts especially for people I don't particularly care for, but I know it's expected of me. I like to give people things through out the year that have thought and meaning; not just one day of the year. I hate getting presents that I don't like. People ask me what I want, I tell them, and they think they know me better than myself and buy me something that I don't like or doesn't fit. We have taught Elexis to say thank you and then we will take it back later or say it doesn't fit. Ahh...it stresses me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you girl! Too much stress. I want just Thanksgiving and skip the whole Christmas celebration. Hell, if I'm honest I don't even like Thanksgiving anymore.

      Delete
    2. Me either!! Next year I say we go to England and look at castles for Thanksgiving and Christmas! At least there will be no pressure.

      Delete
  5. Oh I am so with you! I want to go back to New England to spend Christmas with my family, but then I feel obligated to buy presents for everyone - when really, the present is my presence (yeah, I'm that cool LOL).. But it costs a lot to drive out there - and money is really tight this year! I'm in a quandry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You presence as the present should be enough!

      Delete
  6. I'm so WITH YOU on this! We sent money to the far away Grand nephews and nieces, until they no longer could be bothered to send us little notes. That's sort of a signal, apparently, for times up!

    Sorry your Dear Heart is so ill. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!