Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Favorite Holiday Tradition

One of my favorite traditions  is the night we all load into the car to go see the Christmas lights. We usually do this on the Saturday night before Christmas. We have been going out like this since my adult sons were little boys. The reason that we chose the last Saturday before Christmas is we have a large neighborhood that puts out 17,000 luminaries every year and light them on that Saturday night. If you aren't familiar with luminaries they are candles in paper bags. It is an awesome sight to see. There is also hay rack rides through the neighborhood and carolers who walk about. Santa and Mrs. Claus stand on one corner to visit with the kids and hand out candy canes. They even offer plane rides (for a price, of course) to fly over the neighborhood. I hear that it is quite a site to see.

In Christmas pasts, when Richard was still able to drive, I had the hot chocolate in a thermos, spiked with Bailey's Irish cream (don't judge) and one without for the kids. We ate cookies and drank hot chocolate and sang carols as we cruised the neighborhoods. When our youngest son was older and married we took along his wife and daughter. It was a fun night. 

I hope Richard is feeling well enough this year to load him into the car, along with the three grand kids who usually do this with us, and we can have an evening of light-seeing. Without the Bailey's Irish Cream, of course. I'll save that for when we get home.......

Come join us here in our Holidailies adventures. 

14 comments:

  1. Sounds beautiful and I do hope that Richard feels well enough to go for the ride. It might lift his spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took him out yesterday as it was a beautiful day here.....62 ! Today is 26*. We had a good long ride all around town. He enjoyed it so much. But today he is coughing and coughing and coughing again. :(

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Kwiz...it is fun! Wish you could ride along

      Delete
  3. Wonderful tradition. And I am very familiar with luminaries. I used to do a cancer walk that was open all night - Relay for Life. Our team kept someone on the track walking all night long. The only light was from the thousands of luminaries that lined the track and covered the grounds near by ... all with the names of people who are living with cancer or who died from cancer - printed on the bags. yes, it is a sight to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an awesome walk to participate in!

      Delete
  4. That was also one of my favorite traditions when I was little! There were always certain neighborhoods that went all out. There was also a park that was decorated, and we'd stop there and get out and run around and spin in circles and act crazy in the dark when everything was all lit up... it looked like a magical land, especially when it snowed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you have this memory from your childhood. Memories are so important. And so much better if they are good memories

      Delete
  5. That sounds beautiful, Paula. I hope that Richard feels up to it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he does too. We take it one day at a time now

      Delete
  6. Luminarias (or Farolitos) are a HUGE thing here in New Mexico. They line the roof line off every house and business it seems. I think your tradition is really cool. I hope Richard will be well enough to join you this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me that my family did this when I very little. I'd forgotten. I seem to recall we quit when my kid sister was a baby and never started again, which is kind of sad.

    Macy's on State Street in Chicago always has such gorgeous windows and it's such a kick to play tourist for a change and find myself enchanted. I must do that next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see Chicago at Christmas time. It must be very enchanting!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!