Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Pickled Dick

(Full disclosure and warning....this post will contain some salty language) But no pictures, I promise! Well maybe one, but it will not be x-rated! And we will pray for and forgive teenage boys. 


I can remember one particular Thanksgiving at my mom's house.Some of us were still teenagers. I think that my oldest brother and possibly two of the older cousins had already joined the Navy and were not at home at this time. So it must have been in the later 60's. My youngest brother's name is Richard, but we had always called him Dick or Dicky Lynn. Since I am married to a Richard, I am often asked why people by the name of Richard get a nickname like Dick. I have no idea! I just know that we called my brother Dick. I used to call my husband Dick as well, but as my boys starting getting older and the snickering started, we switched to Richard and stayed with Richard. 

Dick was probably somewhere around 14 or 15 at this time. You know how boys this age can be real smart-asses? 

My aunt and uncle were over for the big meal. My uncle was of the Jewish faith and sometimes I am sure he found our family to be a little crude. But he loved us all. Most of the times he was just a quiet guy.

On this day someone asked "Will you pass the pickles, Dick?" If you can use your imagination a bit here, my brother answered with "whoever heard of pickled dick?" A hush fell over the table. We were not a perfect family. We heard cuss words once in awhile. But this was not a common way to talk at our house, at that time. My uncle slammed his hand down on the table and pronounced to the family:

"From this day forward, we will call him Richard" and that was the birth day of my brother Rich.


Can you guess which one is Rich? Yep, the one taking his shirt off. This was the last Thanksgiving we all spent together. 2008!

(I hate that lamp sitting on the mantle. I am not sure why it is there....it belonged in the living room)

Today is day 15 of 30 Days of Thanksgiving. Find the first two weeks of my posts here. And I hope I didn't offend anyone. Just recording memories. :) 

8 comments:

  1. I also have a brother named Richard we call him the Dickster LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He even has Dickster embroidered on his work shirts. He is an elevator repairman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you have a brother with a great sense of humor. I love it...The Dickster! Tell him hello from our world of Dicksters!

      Delete
  3. This has got to be the best titled post I've ever seen! But I'm weird that way.

    Thanks for the laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. It has been a laugh in our family for years. Embarrassing at times as well...

      Delete
  4. Hahahaha! I laughed so hard at this! Your poor poor uncle. Your brother looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a hoot! I am glad I could give you a laugh

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!