Thursday, November 7, 2013

My First Thanksgiving Away From Home

This is day 8 of My 30 Days of Thanksgiving. Read my other posts here.


Have you ever had to spend Thanksgiving a long way from home? I know that many of you have. But I only have one time! The first Thanksgiving, after I was married, (the first time around).I was in Newport News, Virginia. That is about 1300 miles from home. And we did not know anyone. Well, my ex knew all the guys from the USS Enterprise. But I didn't know anyone. I wondered what Thanksgiving would be like for just the two of us. If I thought about it for very long I would get homesick 
and sad.


USS Enterprise

But I decided that we were going to celebrate no matter what. So I picked up a couple of Cornish game hens, potatoes, cranberry sauce, and a frozen pumpkin pie. And you know what. It was kind of fun. It wasn't the most fabulous meal I have ever eaten. But we made the most of it. It was quiet. We walked around downtown Newport News after we ate. Not much going on that day. Saw a lot of sailors out walking around too. 
Cornish game hens


When evening came we placed calls (collect, of course) home to our parents to hear all about their days. I will always prefer to be home for Thanksgiving.

Do you remember your first time away from home on Thanksgiving? 

8 comments:

  1. Oh Paula, My ex and I went on vacation to Venezuela over Thanksgiving one year. My kids stayed with my sister who was not the world's best cook. They still complain about it each year at dinner. Besides missing Thanksgiving with my kids this was also the trip that brought home the realization that my then husband and I were going to become exes. The only thing we found to talk about during that trip was how much the kids would enjoy it and how much we wished they were there. I think that was when I realized that while we made a great family we weren't much of a couple and I didn't want to wait until the kids were grown and gone to get on with my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you were a smart woman. I know couple like that now. You put it into good terms. They were a great family but not a good couple.

      Delete
  2. Home is where my family is and now my family is pretty much separated one way or another. So I am away from 'home' every thanksgiving. It is why I don't enjoy the holidays as much and are glad when they are over. Guess I better start building new traditions and new memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am trying to do....build new memories for my 'new' family. It sure isn't easy

      Delete
  3. When I was little, we went to Georgia a couple times, but I always was with family. I like the solitariness of nobody being out, it lets you truly discover a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an experience for me to be there at 19 years old. I grew up fast

      Delete
  4. Thanksgiving is the BIG holiday in my family. Bigger than Christmas eve (which is when we open gifts, we follow my mother's tradition from Germany). Home is wherever my parents happen to be as I grew up moving all over the damn place (Navy brat). When we lived in Florida, Mom and Dad would come down every Thanksgiving, and my brother would join us too. Now that we're in New Mexico, it's a little more lonely. I love having Thanksgiving with my folks, and this year, we are having my in-laws here for a whole week! I'm so excited--I love them dearly, and hubby and I haven't seen them as a couple in about 5 years. Next year, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited for you. Maybe next year both sets of parents can come.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!