Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Blogs and Books

  


   Most of you who read my blog know that I am going through a difficult time in my life. A sad time. A hard time. And I don't know what I would do if it weren't for my blog and my blogging friends. Even if they don't stop by everyday I am grateful when they do. And they always leave such encouraging words. I have met some amazing women (and a couple of men) since I started blogging. Teachers and nurses. Mothers and photographers. Young women and middle-age women. From all over the United States and all over the world. We converse with each other through our blogs. And sometimes we email. And soon I hope to meet a couple of you in person. Coming to visit me via my blog has kept me sane. Has kept me company. Has kept me connected. I am thankful for all of you.



    And my other escape is books. I have always been a voracious reader. This has slowed down some since Richard's stroke. But I still read everyday. It just takes me longer to get through a book now. I have my Nook Color loaded with a variety of reading material. I read magazines and blogs as well as books on my Nook. I love my Nook. Best Christmas present I ever received. Well, dang near the best. I mostly like reading thrillers and mysteries but once in awhile I will read a biography or a book with something about history. Usually though I just want to get lost in the story. Escape. You know what I mean?

    Tell me what kinds of books and blogs do you like to read?

    This is day 20! What? I can't believe it is already day 20 in the 30 Days of Thanksgiving. Go here if you want to see what else I am writing about. 

15 comments:

  1. I like reading your blog. You are extremely authentic. I aim to be that way but sometimes I miss. I love reading about the Tudor period, even the books that are loosely based on that period are enjoyable. I enjoy just 'being'. Doing nothing but breathing is extremely relaxing. xxxx If you want to be friends on Facebook you will find me as Lisa Ballico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. And you know that I love your blog. I love your style and you are much more authentic then you give yourself credit for. When I am reading what you have written I feel your pain or your joy and that is want good writing is all about.......

      Delete
  2. Dear Paula,

    It is so amazing. When you open your mouth to speak I feel like I just finished saying the exact same thing. We share much in common.

    I know EXACTLY what you are saying about blogging and staying sane. And I, too, documented my caregiving journey with my mom - because if I didn't do that I would have just exploded! And in doing so, the kindest of people stepped up, encouraged me and shared their stories making me feel I was not alone but among friends who knew EXACTLY what I was going through. Total strangers who were giving of themselves in ways that some of my closest family could not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will dig deeper into your blog and see your care giving posts. You are one of my blogging friends when I think of someone who has given me lots of encouragement. You rock girl!

      Delete
  3. Paula, I too am a voracious reader (another thing we seem to have in common). I love reading anything and everything but a couple of books that will make you laugh out loud and take all your cares away are "Saving CC Hunnicutt" and the Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich. Hang in there and know that prayers go out for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do seem to have a lot in common don't we Wendy. I will look into those books that your mentioned!

      Delete
  4. I like to read books and blogs that are unique--that have an interesting and authentic voice. I've learned a lot through my blog friends, and I hope to meet in person some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were one of my very first followers when I was Paula's Place. We met up through Sunday Stealing....would love to visit you in your part of the USA someday. Who knows?? :)

      Delete
    2. Roadtrip!! I will swing by to pick you up! :)

      Delete
    3. Wouldn't that be a blast Cristy. We could visit Kwiz and Boss Nurse and some of the others. Such a blast. Ah maybe someday

      Delete
    4. Just rent a big van and travel around the country picking up everyone as we go...that would be so fun!

      Delete
  5. Love your blog--and you! I'm Lisa's lost twin--I am also enthralled by the Tudor period, and read dry, dusty, history books like the latest best seller. I also love science fiction and world-building fantasy. I also read a fair amount off non-fiction stuff that sounds terribly depressing (dirty wars and nuclear weapons being the topics of the most recent non-fic stuff I'm reading), but I find them fascinating. On top of that, I love travel magazines, entertainment weekly, and every catalog I can get my hand on. I was one of those kids who read the back of the cereal box while I was eating breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you are so sweet! You do some heavy duty reading girl. I just like to get lost in the adventure. You and Richard would have a lot in common He subscribed to every travel magazine there was.....

      Delete
  6. I hope you know that you mean a lot to me (even though we have never met). I think about you often during the day. You are such an inspiration to me about life in general. You have a lot going on right now and the fact that you are not in a straight jacket is amazing (I am pretty sure I probably would be...ha). Seriously though, I am so so happy that I did that challenge back in March. Who knew that I would make such an amazing friend. I will one day meet you in person. I already feel that I know you and your family even though we have never met. I think Elexis and Harley would get along nicely. Keep blogging and I will keep reading. As far as books go, I love thrillers and mysteries. Lately I have been reading books Elexis recommends to me. That girl reads probably 3 or 4 books a week...ahh to be young again. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Cristy and I, too, feel that you are a close friend. Yes, we will someday get together. I know that Harley would be so excited to meet Elexis. Love you too!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!