Monday, November 18, 2013

Blanket, Blanket, Who's Got The Blanket?

    It is day 19 of the 30 Days of Thanksgiving. Find all my posts here.


    At my house we do NOT have enough blankets! Maybe I should rephrase that and say we do have plenty of blankets but we don't have enough if anyone else comes here to sleep. I am THANKFUL for the blankets I have, however. You see Richard is always cold. His circulation is just not up to par. That part of his body doesn't work right anymore. It could be caused from a variety of health problems that he has. He has chronic anemia, hypothyroidism and has lot quite a bit of weight in the past two years. All of this makes him cold.....I am not just talking about your normal feeling cold. He is ice cold. His nail beds turn blue. His lips turn blue. He shivers. 
    Bath times are a nightmare to him. He likes the warm water of the shower but getting him out and dressed takes a team effort. This past shower day Harley warmed a small blanket in the dryer while I was drying him with the towel. All the  while Justin held the blow dryer on warm and blew it over him. Harley came running with the blanket and we wrapped him up until the shivering stopped. And then I flew into action and dressed him as fast as I could. Then we take him to his chair and start with the blankets. On a normal day 5 blankets are enough. There have been occasions where he requires a couple more. 


    So if you are coming to my house for a visit bring your blanket. There are no extras here. And if you want to stop and say "hi" to Richard just look for the pile of blankets.

6 comments:

  1. I am also anemic so I am constantly cold. My nail beds are often blue when I am cold. I keep blankets everywhere. I also ask for more blankets for Christmas because I never feel we have enough. I like the idea of putting the blanket in the dryer for when I get out of the shower. Maybe you could try putting one of those small heaters in the bathroom to warm it up when he gets out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my son that on Sunday when he helped me shower Richard. My bathroom is very tiny (the one with the big shower) and we had to take off the door so we can get his chair through it. So when we bring him out to the dressing room part of the bathroom is where he gets cold. I do think a small space heater is needed!

      Delete
  2. Paula, when he gets cold like that try to convince him to drink some hot soup or tea. It will warm him up from the inside and hopefully help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that advice Wendy. But he is cold like that all the time!

      Delete
  3. Keeping extremities as warm as possible is important, but I'm sure you know that. He should wear socks all the time, even in bed. Some brandy on occasion could be a good thing, or just some other hot liquid. Soups should be a staple, and oatmeal for breakfast if he likes that.

    I remember my grandmother would heat a brick in aluminum foil and put it by my feet when I was sick. It kept my feet really warm and kept the heat for a surprisingly long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had flannel covered bricks when I was growing up. In the mornings we put them on the floor furnace downstairs and at night we took them up to bed with us. Maybe I should heat a brick for Richard! Thanks for the idea Doreen

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!