Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Turkey Secret


Do you know how to cook a turkey? I have baked a lot of turkeys in my years on this earth. And I am not going to lie and tell you that they have all been juicy, tender, and wonderful. I have had my share of ups and downs. I have left the giblets, in the bag, inside the turkey. I have overcooked it. I have under cooked it. I have forgotten to take it out of the freezer in time for it to thaw. But I have found, and will share, the best turkey tip that I know. And I now, never have a failure.

Yep...that is my secret. And the turkeys I make are the BEST. They are moist, tender, and take much less time in the oven. And clean up is just a matter of tossing the bag and rinsing the pan. If you have never tried an oven bag, you have got to this year! I guarantee them. Now if someone would just teach me how to carve that sucker we would be in business. 

What's your favorite way to cook a turkey?


11 comments:

  1. I have never used one of those cooking bags. I think I will try it this year. Can you still stuff the bird before it goes in the bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, stuff the bird and slip him in the bag. Just follow the directions exactly on the package. You will be so surprised!

      Delete
  2. Since cooking the turkey is my job this year, I think I'll give these a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes. I never cook my turkey without them! They are fabulous

      Delete
  3. I've also used cheese cloth drenched in a wine reduction. But I like the bags better, less mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A whole lot less mess. And you just put it in the oven and forget it. But that cheese cloth drenched in wine sounds pretty good too

      Delete
  4. Oh, I've got to show this to my DH. He really, really wants to "do" a turkey this year ... which is a GOOD thing, on account I've never done one in my life. (Both DH and my former hubby are/were practically addicted to cooking ..... lucky me, right?! :)
    Thanks for the tip, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell him to try it. I guarantee you will love it. Just follow the directions on the box.

      Delete
  5. If I were to ever cook a turkey again (I've cooked one), I would probably use those bags. I use the liners for my crockpot and swear by them. Makes clean up so much easier. I could see how this would keep it moist and juicy. I think they make smaller ones for roasting whole chickens. I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you use them you will never cook a turkey any other way. Richard also used them for meatloaf when he made that.

      Delete
    2. What a good idea for meatloaf. It would definitely keep it moist.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!