Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A bed in the Room


We have a bed in our living room. A hospital bed with an alternating air-flow mattress. This type of mattress will help to treat and prevent any pressure sores that might develop.  Richard has a couple on his bottom from having spent the last year sitting in either his recliner or his wheelchair. We have gel-pads in both chairs but it just wasn't  enough to prevent him from having sores develop. He is no long able to lift himself up, even a tiny fraction, to relieve the pressure. Now my biggest challenge is to get him to try out the bed. He told our son the other day..."I must be getting near the end if she thinks I need a hospital bed." We spent the weekend trying to convince him that just isn't so. We explained several times why we thought the bed would be better for him. The bed was delivered yesterday afternoon. He just sat and watched as it was set up. He didn't say a word to the delivery man who brought it. He didn't want to try it out. "Maybe tomorrow." I am thankful that I have a large living room and it will accommodate the bed, as well as a sofa and two recliners. Not to mention my little nook behind the sofa where my computer is. But we still had to move a lot of furniture around. And store what wouldn't fit in another room. I am beginning to look more and more like a care home!

We also had another visit with the re-certification nurse. I understand she will now come every 60 days to see that he still needs Hospice. It is a Medicare requirement. She says that failing appetite and more sleeping will continue to qualify him. That, of course, is good news to us.(That he still qualifies, not that he continues to fail). Paying for all of this would be a nightmare otherwise. I think it is crazy that Medicare will pay this sum of money each month to Hospice yet won't pay the room and board portion to the nursing home, should we need it. It is because the kind of care that Richard needs is called custodial care not medically necessary care. Sometimes it is just hard to understand why the rules are the way they are. But I am grateful for Hospice and what they do for us.  

7 comments:

  1. Yes, we had a hospital bed in the middle of our living room in this town house ... and my living room was very small - but there was no choice. My mother-in-law used to sleep sitting up in a regular livingroom chair - not even a recliner. We didn't know that when we moved her in with us. She had to sit up because she had lung cancer and was having problems breathing. In the end, we need the bed because we were afraid that she would fall forward in the middle of the night and land on the floor. She lived only a short time after we bought the bed in. She did use it twice but in the end, she preferred the uncomfortable chair - that she had probably used for over a year.

    All these steps are hard ... every last one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are hard....He did try it out for a short time yesterday but didn't sleep in it last night. And I have decided that is okay. Wherever he is most comfortable is the whole idea behind the theory of Hospice. We will do what he wants....even if it makes our lives harder. Because no ones life is as hard as his is right now!

      Delete
  2. I know how heart wrenching it is to not only deal with their terminal illness but also their fears. My Pops was pretty good about all the changes and open to whatever would make him more comfortable but it also scared him because he knew each change was bringing him closer to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that is exactly what Richard's problem is. He is afraid. And he realizes the end is coming. And who ever wants to die?

      Delete
  3. I hope he has adjusted to it a little better today. Change is hard, but when you know what usually comes with that change and it is negative; it's even harder. Praying for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He stayed in it a little longer yesterday. He isn't interested yet in sleeping at night there. So I slept in it last night :)

      Delete
    2. At least someone is using it. I hope you slept well.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!