Tuesday, September 10, 2013

We Will Never Forget


I remember the morning of September 11, 2001 very clearly and probably always will. Most of America will always remember. My husband and I were planning a day at the Kansas State Fair, which takes place every year, right here in our hometown. We were first going down to Main Street to watch my very good friend's son March in the Parade of Bands that goes down Main Street every day during the fair to showcase the high school marching bands from across our state. Then our plan was to pick up our one-year old granddaughter and take her to the fair to spend the day.
Richard was back in the master bath shaving and I was sitting in our family room with Good Morning America on and putting on my shoes. Around 8:32, or so ,right after a commercial, Charlie and Diane came back on the air and reported that they had received word that what was believed to be a plane had hit one of the towers of the World Trade Center in New York. I went to tell Richard and we both chatted for a moment about the horror of that. Then I went back to the TV and he went back to shaving.
While sitting and waiting for Richard to finish, at around 9:02 a.m. , on live TV, I watched in terror as the second plane flew into the other tower. It was absolutely unbelievable. My husband and I both watched and wondered what on earth was going on in New York.
We left to keep our commitment to watch our friend's son march in the band. The thing I most remember about that morning is the absolute, eerie quiet that surrounded us. Even with a marching band playing the day seemed so quiet. The air felt heavy. It was if we knew something major had changed in America, but we were not yet sure what it was.
When we picked up our granddaughter my son and his wife were glued to their TV. My son is a deputy sheriff and it was his day off. We continued on to the fair and pulled our little granddaughter in her little red wagon. It was the quietest day I have ever been to the fair. Everywhere we walked people were gathered around TV's watching the tragedy unfold. There were people huddled and whispering. People were scared. We did not know how to act. Should life go on? Should we all go home? Should we be afraid?
There are images of that day that I will never forget. That huge plume of smoke and debris roaring down the street as people ran for their lives. The faces of the first responders as they raced in or carried people out. The look on the face of President Bush as the aide whispered to him what had happened while he was sitting in the classroom full of young students. The face of Mayor Rudy Giuliani as he took the reigns and tried to make sense of what was happening. It was a terrible day in America and for America.






We shall Never Forget!



2 comments:

  1. It is still hard to process all that. My brother left for the army two days after it happened. It still gives me goosebumps and tears and heavy emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been scared to death Cristy! Where is your brother now?

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!