Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Day That Changed my Life

 
 
September 10, 2013: Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.
 
 
      I remember the summer after I was divorced from my first husband. It was 1978. I wasn't sure what I was going to do to provide a life for my two little boys ages 7 and 3. Right at that moment we were living off the proceeds from the sale of the house. We were living in a small 2 bedroom apartment. My best friend had just moved to Florida and I was LOST. I decided that I needed to find a career that would pay more than the career I had before my kids were born. I went to Business College after high school and worked as a secretary at a variety of places. You CANNOT support a family on a secretary's wages. So I went to our local college to look into some type of education in the medical field. I was interested in becoming a medical technologist. I always thought running all those tests on body fluids would be so interesting. And then I looked at the curriculum. TOO much science and math. 
     While in the counselor's office he asked me what I thought of nursing. My thoughts on nursing could be summed up in two words. HELL NO!. Never did I want to be a nurse. I viewed a nurse as a doctor's handmaiden who cleaned up poop and puke. No way ever! He showed me how much money a nurse could make ($8.69 an hour at the time) and I signed up. That was good, good money back then and I was the sole provider for two kids.
      After three years of attending our local community college I graduated with an associates degree in nursing and have never looked back. It is the most satisfying job I have ever had.  I love taking care of people. And I was very good at it. I WAS not a doctor's handmaiden. Although, there were plenty of doctors that still felt that was what a nurse was for. And I learned that a nurse does much more than clean puke and poop. We diagnose. We educate. We help with healing. We comfort those in pain and those who are dying. I loved my job for 30 years! Now I am somewhat retired and stay at home and take care of Richard. I am glad that I have my nursing education to fall back on in this time of need. Becoming a nurse, without a doubt, changed my life.

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome, and so true! I have a lot of relatives in the nursing field, and I think they all feel a really strong sense of accomplishment and pride in their work. Glad you stumbled into a field that gave you so much fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you. I am glad that I did as well. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Finishing school while raising two young children is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard but it made our lives so much better.

      Delete
  3. I am in the process of getting my education, and considering becoming a nurse, I'm a CNA so I have a good idea of what I would be in for.. maybe.. just maybe.. instead of "hell no.."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. It is hard, hard, hard but so rewarding

      Delete
  4. I believe nurses are the first doctors patients see. Nurses see a whole lot more that doctors because of the one on one. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!