Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Cough, Cough, Cough

     Parkinson's! I hate that word. I hate the disease. I hate everything that goes along with it. I hate to read the symptoms and know that I am recognizing them in Richard. I feel like I am so depressed. I don't want to be awake. I don't want to deal with this. But I have to go on. He needs me to take care of him.
     The hardest part for me is the coughing. People with Parkinson's have weakened facial and throat muscles. Talking and swallowing become more difficult. Choking, coughing, and drooling occurs. Richard coughs during eating. A Lot! I worry constantly about him aspirating and developing pneumonia. But he refuses to have his food pureed, at this point. And I don't want to push it. It is his decision. But the coughing is literally driving me insane. Sometimes I feel that the more he coughs, the more he needs to cough. Does that make sense. He says that he has a tickle in his throat. And he coughs. And then he complains that his throat is irritated. And he coughs. Then the phlegm builds up. And he coughs.
     The wonderful (and perplexing) thing about this is that he does not cough when he sleeps. Isn't that interesting. He sleeps well. Of course with the aid of sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medications. But he doesn't cough.

2 comments:

  1. Coughing annoys me anyway, I can't imagine having to go through that. Sleep is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I made it all those years at the hospital with all the coughing. Except I didn't have to stay in the room with them while it was going on!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!