Thursday, July 18, 2013

Through the Years

July 19, 2013

Write about someone you really care about

     When I was thinking about this prompt, I knew who I would write about. I cannot imagine that I would select anyone else at this point in my life to write about. Just thinking about my love for Richard makes the words of this song come to mind:

"I can't remember when you weren't there

When I didn't care for anyone but you

I swear we've been through everything there is

Can't imagine anything we've missed

Can't imagine anything the two of us can't do"

     Because it is true. I can't remember when he wasn't there. It seems as if I have known him forever. And I feel as if he is the only man that I have ever really loved. The two of us have had quite a 'wild ride' through the years. We haven't missed out on too many of life's experiences. We have lived life the way that we wanted to.

"Through the years, you've never let me down
You turned my life around, the sweetest days I've found
I've found with you ... Through the years
I've never been afraid, I've loved the life we've made
And I'm so glad I've stayed, right here with you
Through the years"

     There have been times in our lives together that he disappointed me, made me mad, frustrated me, but he NEVER let me down. And I cannot even begin to imagine what my life would have been like if he had not come into it and helped me turn things around. I will never, ever be sorry for the decisions I made when I chose to spend my life with him. I am glad I have stayed right here even when sometimes things were not really that easy. 

"I can't remember what I used to do
Who I trusted, who I listened to before
I swear you taught me everything I know
Can't imagine needing someone so
But through the years it seems to me
I need you more and more"
     
     I really, really cannot remember what I did before this man came into my life. I know that I was miserable with a loser of an ex-husband. Too bad that I trusted and listened to him before Richard came along. And I was so very naive and young and Richard has taught me 'most' everything I know. I let him take care of me. And I loved every moment of it. 


"Through the years, through all the good and bad
I KNOW how much we had, I've always been so glad
To be with you ... Through the years
It's better every day, you've kissed my tears away
As long as it's okay, I'll stay with you
Through the years

     Yes, there have been plenty of good times and more than our share of bad times. But I never wanted to leave. I was always happy to stay and spend my entire life with Richard. And it is true, he  kissed plenty of tears away. Through the years. He was always there to take care of things I didn't want to, couldn't, didn't have time for. And he raised my sons as if they were his own flesh and blood. He was always there for all of us.  

"Through the years, when everything went wrong
Together we were strong, I know that I belong
Right here with you ... Through the years
I never had a doubt, we'd always work things out
I've learned what life's about, by loving you
Through the years"

     Just like with any relationship, there were plenty of times where 'everything went wrong.' But it is so true that 'together we were strong.' And I stayed. And He stayed. And we always worked through it. He is my rock. He is my sun. He is the man who hung the moon. There were plenty of times that he pissed me off. But I never had a doubt, that we would always work things out. And I have never questioned how much he loves me. Everyone knows how much he loves me. I am a lucky woman. I am spoiled. I have been showered with fancy things and taken to marvelous places and I have always felt his love. 


"Through the years, you've never let me down
You've turned my life around, the sweetest days I've found
I've found with you ... Through the years
It's better every day, you've kissed my tears away
As long as it's okay, I'll stay with you
Through the years..."

     I know that our days on this earth together are coming to an end. I know that he will soon leave me. And I will miss him with every ounce of my being. I will grieve for him and what we will no longer have. But I know he will be watching over me.  I know that we will be together again and when I get there, to be by his side, he will kiss my tears away. 



Through The Years
(click to hear this song)

Kenny Rogers


1996 on Our Panama Canal Cruise just months before we were married


Who is it that you care about? Please sign in and tell us all about this person






17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, love the picture of you both on the cruise, nice looking couple!
    Who do you Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He is the LOVE of my life

      Delete
  2. awww, so beautiful. i love to hear that folks are very happy together. so, so, so great!! sweet shot of the two of you. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, again, you just make me cry. I love your love story. I want one like this too... I'm so sorry this disease is taking your husband from you... you deserve to live your whole life loving him with him there by your side. Love you lady! I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mean to make you cry. But I must document this love story for me and for those who will one day read my blog! Not only is this disease probably going to take him from me, but he is 18 years older so there is a good chance I would out live him anyway. I am just glad that I can be here for him!

      Delete
    2. No, not crying in sadness... it's just that it IS such a beautiful love story. :) I'm sad that you're losing your best friend and partner in life.

      I'm so thankful that you found this person in life, however, and were able to be his bride...

      Delete
    3. I don't know that we really think of it that way...but it is hard to being losing my partner in life

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful and special thing you have. The love in your faces in that picture is priceless. *big hugs* Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such good memories on that cruise. The angle of the picture makes him look a bit weird...my grandson says "Papa looks so fat" We laughed because Papa is such a slip of the person he used to be...

      Delete
  5. I was already teary eyed when I started reading this, so the dam just broke. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Flora for reading. And for being my new friend!

      Delete
  6. Such a great song. We played that at my folks'50th anniversary. Such a touching post about your husband. I pray I can be as dedicated to my husband, if he declines before I do. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!