Saturday, July 20, 2013

Oh, I am so FAT!

July  21, 2013

What are your thoughts on how the media portrays body image for young girls?


     One of the most annoying things about the media (only one, you say!) is they don't know anything about REAL life and it is all about trying to direct all of us to follow along with what just a few 'experts' think they know. I hate the image of the stick thin model. I hate to see a mother who works out constantly, obsesses about how she looks, talks about her diet and exercise programs all the time and then turns around and says to her little girl, "honey, of course you aren't fat."
     Fat Talk goes on everyday in the world. Between two women (or two girls). I hear my grand daughters say such things as "I hate my thighs." "Do you think my stomach sticks out too much in this dress" And they are only 11, 13, and 13. There is so much teasing and bullying at school that these girls are terrified of being called fat. And it is not much better with the boys. My  15 year old grandson is obsessed with his height and weight. And all of this turns into eating disorders in a world already full of kids with all kinds of other mental disorders.
     I don't see anything wrong with eating healthy. I see nothing at all wrong with exercising. But when that is ALL a mom can talk about, or dad is constantly getting out of the house to run or go to the gym, the kids get the idea that body image is really, really important. 
      But with all of that being said I really do believe that we, the consumer, is mostly to blame for these continued problems with body image. We still buy the magazines that have the stick-ladies on the cover. We still buy the products that these models are selling. We still watch the programs on TV that are allowing these images to be put before our impressionable young people. So are we really the ones that are to blame, and not the media?  
      

Tell me what you think:


12 comments:

  1. We Americans like to blame others. If someone is too fat and eats at McDonalds all the time, they sue McDonalds. Stupid on a variety of levels. Lawyers take the case, the media reports the case like it's news. No one forces anyone to eat in excess, or not to exercise any more then they make them buy a gym membership. People can vote with their remote, but don't. I we're now experiencing a lot of reverse reaction in that you see more and more over weight people then skinny people. Both extremes are a health problem.
    Body Image

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you except the media is not pushing the 'fat girls' and little girls are not idolizing them. The media is much more about the skinny girl. But I still think we should not be blaming the media for anything. Teach your children while they are young.

      Delete
  2. Good for you Paula! Too many people play the blame game and I think it's so dumb. I'm sick to death of it.

    I do think however that we as parents do have a responsibility to help our kids build their self esteem so they're not quite as vulnerable to the Hollywood, models and TV influences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We live in a society that feels everything that happens is someone else 's fault.

      Delete
  3. I think I just hate the media in general and peer pressure with a passion. Great Post Paula xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The media is pretty bad here in America for sure. And peer pressure is a never ending problem

      Delete
  4. Excellent points. We do stress to Elexis about being healthy vs. being skinny. But only because we to instill it now and make it a way of life instead of years of self loathing. We don't talk negative about our bodies in front of them, nor do we talk about how thin we look. We talk about so much more to her about being smart and talented and having a drive to be successful. I would rather nurture those qualities than the body. She goes to the gym with us voluntarily and she does what she wants (usually the bicycle machine). But our whole lives doesn't revolve around the gym or food (in fact I have skipped the gym for two weeks now). And, like you said, its not only girls that are suffering. Boys are too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cristy. It is sad isn't it?

      Delete
  5. I think there is a fine balance... I think they can portray an image without doctoring the entire thing to an unreasonable and unrealistic ideal for someone to hope to attain.

    I hate how everyone wants to blame Nabisco for making Oreos when they wind up fat for eating a BAG OF THEM A DAY! Or people blaming McDonalds for their high cholesterol. I really don't think it takes a doctorate to understand what kind of CRAP will make you fat! If your food lasts longer on the shelf than YOU WILL, it's not healthy to eat! DUH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so very true! I hating blaming PERIOD!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!