Sunday, July 14, 2013

Knitting Memories from the Past


It is time for Memory Monday sponsored by Sandy at Sandy's Space. You can click here to get the details and then be sure to link up with everyone so we can share your memories.



I am not sure of the exact year this picture was taken.
It is my mom, my brothers, my sister and me.
I think I was somewhere around the age of 15 or so.
I am in the back between two brothers.
What makes this picture interesting?
And memorable?
My mom knit all the sweaters we are wearing. 
Each one was a completely different look.
A different pattern.
A different yarn.
My sweater was knit on what was called broomstick needles.
It was a loose knit.
I always wore a tank top under it.
The brother to my right and the sister standing in front of him are twins.
Fraternal of course.

6 comments:

  1. I notice that your mom isn't wearing something she knit - for herself! A typical "unselfish mom" thing to do.

    And being a knitter myself, I really enjoyed this picture.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't recall that she EVER knit anything for herself to wear...

      Delete
  2. WOW....that's really awesome. I love the old photo, and all those sweaters, your Mom was quite talented. I also had to smile at your hair do....even if we didn't know we were the same age...we could tell our styles, fads etc of the times..except I always had to really work to get my hair that smooth, I had the dreaded (back then,not now) natural curly hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was the most talented woman I ever knew! My hair was stick straight so it wasn't hard to wear it like that. And I pined for curly hair, which is what my sister had.

      Delete
  3. I love it! My mother used to sew my clothes when I was a child. My grandmother did the same for her. Then when my son was growing up, my mother made all his Halloween costumes custom. He was an amazing looking Power Ranger, lol. Now I am a grandmother and I am passing on the tradition. I love to look back at all the time and energy my mother put into making things for us. I can't wait to see my granddaughter wearing a dress that her Great Great Grandmother sewed for her grandmother. Keeping traditions alive is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. Unfortunately I don't make anything in the clothing department

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!