Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Importance of an Education

Day Twenty

How important you think education is

     

     I used to think that every child, everywhere, needed a college education. I no longer feel that way. I have seen many of my friends kids go to college, waste a lot of money, and come out with or without a degree. Then they struggle for awhile trying to find what they want to do in life. I wish that after kids graduated from high school, they could get a job, find out what they want to do, and then pursue that dream. Whether it be a college degree. A technical education. Or on the job training. A lot of wasted money would be saved. Not everyone needs the college experience. I think the high school education is what is important. They need the basics in English, history, geography, and math.

     With the current generation, everyone wants to go to college. We are fighting the highest unemployment rates our country has ever seen. And we have the highest unpaid student loans of all time. Maybe it is time to tell the youth of our country that going to college, just for the sake of going to college, is no longer an option. Go to college if you can afford it. Go to college if you have a plan. Go to college to do what you want to do for the rest of your life. Don't sign up for every on-line college that makes going to college sound good. There is a lot of expense in on-line colleges. And often those degrees aren't worth much to your future employer. In fact a lot of college degrees, period, aren't worth much to employers. Technical education is what is valuable.

     Education is important. But it needs to be the right education. At the right time. Only the proper education will save our country from the downfall it is in. I used to tell my husband, not everyone needs to be a college graduates. A lot of our country is about the 'blue-collar' worker. We need to support further education in the lower levels of  America. Not everyone is going to be a doctor, lawyer, or CEO. Not everyone need to go to college. What is your thoughts on education?


Please sign the linky




June Photo a Day Challenge

cute

Youngest granddaughter Meadow
taken by her mother at Easter


14 comments:

  1. Hah, I thank my parents deeply for starting an education fund for me so so far we haven't had the need to take out a loan, but soon.... very very soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were some wise parents! What is it that you are wanting to do with your college education?

      Delete
  2. Ack...that picture is so stinkin cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, I totally believe in getting a good education. I believe it's the golden key to a successful career in whatever you choose. Problem is, the majority of people [including myself] usually choose a career that is so different from what the studied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that a good education is important. I just don't believe that it needs to be an expensive college education. There are plenty of jobs here in America that don't require a college education.

      Delete
  4. I actually did a post on this all the way back in March...we had a lot of the same ideas. The World+College Today=Not Sure @Inspirefly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left a comment on your above post. I can't see that we need to keep wasting money on college degrees if people aren't going to be paid what they are worth!

      Delete
  5. Amen sister! I feel the same way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By College do you mean University ? i am confused a bit. Out here most kids try to get into University straight after school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes college and university are one and the same. Most kids here too try to go to college. It is just that it is so expensive and it really does not guarantee there will be a job for them. Lots of them doesn't even chose avenues of study that will even help them in the future. Just another way to spend mom and dad's money. Or the governments!

      Delete
  7. I have mixed feelings about education. On the one hand i would love to get a degree but its all but impossible at the present moment. On the other hand I look at unemployment rates in places like India and its grim reality that most people are over-educated especially given the positions they do hold. And the idea of loans turn me off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same is true in America. Lots of over-educated unemployed people!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!