Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mainstream Music

Day Sixteen

Your views on mainstream music

     My views on mainstream music? I have opinions! I have thoughts! And since this is the prompt of today I will share them with you. I haven't found much that appeals to me in the music of today. I am not a big fan. I don't care for rap. And I am not really into what they call 'rock'. I do not care for music videos. I don't like the 'too sexy' dressing, the stomping, the crotch grabbing (what's up with that?) or the huge production. I like good lyrics that tell a story. And I like  the music to be in the background. I want to hear the song. Now with that being said, I have to admit that I haven't listened to a lot of what people are calling 'mainstream'. I guess that means what is popular! Or is it what is talked about the most in the media..
Promotional photograph of Elvis Presley, taken...


     I am extremely bothered by how the media immortalizes a singer. Take, for instance, Whitney Houston. How they went on and on and on about her, after she died, appalled me. I didn't want them talking about what a wonderful person she was. I didn't want to hear her song "I Will Always Love You" played over and over again. I didn't want to hear Oprah, or L Cool J, go on and on about what a loss it was. She was a DRUG ADDICT! That was her downfall. And it got lost. I don't want my teenage granddaughter idolizing a drug addict. Or the antics of Justin Bieber. Young kids who look up to these stars are following in their footsteps and they think if Justin can do it, so can I. It seems to me that the young musicians of today are more interested in the flash and the bank account. They are over-produced to grab at the money of the moment. They live hard and die young. So sad.
Frank Sinatra


     Now, before I start to sound just like my mother, I have to wonder... will any of these people, who are front and center in the mainstream music world, be heard of in 20 years? 30 years? What about 50 years? Will there ever be another Frank Sinatra or another Elvis Presley. I don't think so! Tell me what you think.



PLEASE SIGN THE LINKY


June Photo of the Day Challenge
Family

This is not a new picture.
It was taken in the summer of 2011.
Before Richard became so sick.
This is the day that Darian and Harley were baptized.
And this is us with all nine of our grandchildren.




10 comments:

  1. You go! I'm sitting here shaking my head in agreement. What the heck happened to just being a good singer? And what about all these famous people being invincible when it comes to the law? It's ok to to whatever you want {murder/steal/insert other crime here} as long as you have a few million in the bank? Lord, don't get me started. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I see we share this view

      Delete
  2. I'm with you about singers. I hate auto-tune. And I love your family photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. There is a lot of them, isn't there?

      Delete
  3. I love music. Real music with lyrics that mean something. Sometimes I try to separate the music from the person but its hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the lyrics more than I like the music

      Delete
  4. I love music. I do love mainstream music, just because I am subject to it a lot. I completely agree with you about people idolizing really any musicians. They have a lot of money and with a lot of money sometimes come a lot of problems. Like drug use, or just general breaking the law or entitlement. I am so fortunate that my daughter looks up to real people and not stars. I love singers from the 50's and 60's as well as current artists now. I do not like over produced songs. I love the picture of you and your grandkids. What a great day that was for you, Richard, Darian and Harley. Great blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 200% on the mark! I couldn't get over the Whitney thing either. I always think of all the good these rich famous types could do with their money, but they don't........they don't do anything honorable.

    My hero in my growing up years was Davey Crockett and Daniel Boone, not a movie star or a singer!
    Main Stream Music

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!